From the article: Treatment for Preterm Labor
Over 10% of babies are born before the 37th week of gestation. Did your doctor or midwife talk to you about the signs of preterm labor? How did you know you were in preterm labor? What types of treatment did you receive? When was your baby finally born? Sharing your story can help other women cope with treatment and bed rest. Share Your Story
- i had 2 children normal pregnancy but with my 3rd i bled very heavily at 12 wks 16 wks and 20 wks drs said they didnt know where the blood was coming from at 23 wks 4 days i started to contract i was given steriods for the babys lungs an was told if i had the baby nothing would be done to help as i was still at a stage where i could have an abortion .i was kept in hospital for 10 days but was going into labour every 4 days for bout 2 hrs at 24 wks 6 days i started losin bits of my placenta an was give a emergency c section i gave birth to a baby girl weighin 1lb 10oz she was in neonatal for 4 month died 4 times an had 7 blood transfusions but she celebrated her forth birthday on january 15th this yr an is doing well ...........she is my little miricle i am currently 23 wks pregnant today with my 4th child which is a boy so far no bleedin and all is good :)
- —Guest mummy1980
Feel like docs think I'm mad
- This is my third baby all girls had two previous preterm labour with my eldest who ten now I had anti natal app and was 9cm did not have a clue was in labour.im 28 weeks went up to hospital mon said if got worse checked nothing happening did a preterm labour test said wont go into labour in next 3days haveing contractions in bk and like a pulse pain in bk both painful and not sure if loosening water lost something last night did not smell like wee but had funny smell.i just feel stupid if go up and it's nowt they treat u like u thick and said u had two kids you must know what labour like but was dialated both times until waters went late on I had no contractions.please help ladies x
- —Guest Sarah
- When i was 23 weeks pregnant with my first son i went into labor around 3 times a week and so i got put on this shot that went into the back of my hip to stop contractions and was put on bed rest for the last three months of my pregnancy which was no fun at all...i lost my mucus plug march 25th 2011 at 8am and went into the hospital round noon and they sent me home with vicodin it did not help at all. i continued to contract all through the day and night until they were 2 mins apart at 5am March 26th 2011 and was in labor for 9 hours finally had my beautiful boy at 2:23pm had major complications with the delivery but he was super healthy. we stayed in there for a week just to make sure. i am now 29 weeks with my second son and its been alot of pain but feeling him move is all worth it!
- I had a perfect pregnancy, very active and health. I never had any spotting/bleeding nothing. Woke up to go pee at 5am one morning and had a gush a fluid a s blood. husband rushed me to the hospital and I was in labour. :( I was in there on bed rest for 17 days and then delivered a baby boy at 29 weeks 3 days.he was 3.4lbs. He needed some help breathing and eating took a couple weeks, because he was so early he couldn't suck, swallow and breath at the same time. We were finally released 54 days later. I am happy to say today he is now 2 and a half and I can't keep up with him :) I am now 22 weeks pregnant with the 2nd, fingers crossed we can carry further this time!! We have to be the luckiest family alive! :)
- —Guest Miracle little man
33 weeks 3cm dialated 35 weeks water brk
- I had my daughter when I was 35 weeks she was 4pounds 8 oz when I was 33 weeks had some bleeding the night before found out I was 3 cm dialated they gave me the steroids to advance my daughters lungs she came out breathing on her own but she stayed in the hospital 3 extra weeks she's 4 now she's healthy as ever. Now I'm 33 weeks prego and having some contracting but hopefully I go my full term this time.
- —Guest imani
- Today I went to the hospital and I was getting contractions every 5 min I was 1 cm thank God and afther they keep.me for 24 hrs and give me a medicine iv that made me feel sick and they give me two shots streroids my contractions are gone but I have back pain do u girls think I migt get them again????oh am.in bed rest
- —Guest joana
God is good
- I went into labor 8-2-09 saw discharge and felt different things but thought it was normal went into labor n delivery at 22wks couldn't get a cerclage was told I could abort which I didn't and that I would be going into labor I did after 3days went from 3-10cm dilated n delivered 15ounce little boy lived for 1hr it was heartbreaking I got pregnant shortly after my little girl was coming 23.5wks but this time got cerclage made it 39wks pregnant now 32wks got cerclage n17p shots everything is going well thanks to high risk doc n support
- —Guest syrita powers
- In 1977 I was 31 weeks pregnant with my 2nd son. I had no problems with my first pregnancy and my second was going well. That Sunday I did nothing more strenuous tan read the paper, but I thought I was piddling a few drops all day figuring the baby was pushing on my bladder. I carried him very low anyway. I woke up at 2 am in a puddle. I was admitted and put on an alcohol IV to keep me from going into labor. I was given betamethasone which at the tme was still experimental. Four days later the took me off the IV and I had my son 10 hours later. He weighed 3 lbs 8 2/3 oz. He was in NICU for 25 days. He was a fussy baby and didn't walk until he was 18 months. But he is now over 6 ft tall and did not have any complications or health issues. My daughter was admitted for mag IV today at 32 weeks. They told me I had an incompetant cervix when I was pregnant with her and I spent 2 mos in bed. She was born at 39 wks. I hope they can prevent her from going into labor this early.
still coping but worried
- At 20 weeks, an ultrasound showed my Cervix was short, 2.59. 3rd pregnancy. 1st baby 38 weeks, 2nd baby 35 weeks. On tylenol 3 for constdnt contractions but Cervix is holding steady at 21 weeks at 2.55 cm. So much pain and so worried. Mostly bed rest, and hopes to make it to 32+ weeks at least.
- —Guest kim
- I am a first time mom - about a week ago I started noticing a lot of discharge & mucus coupled with stomach pain. After a trip to the ER and then to our OB-GYN there was no talk of me being in preterm labor. She checked my cervix and everything seemed OK. That evening the "stomach pains" got a lot worse - they ended up being contractions - because I had never felt them it took us a few hours to realize we needed to head back to the ER. They hydrated me through an IV and sent us home. They said if my water broke to come back immediately. We got home around 4am, slept until 11am, when my water broke. We rushed back to the ER and after four hours they finally rushed me to the Birth Center, where I delivered our beautiful healthy son the next day. He lived for over an hour. We are heartbroken and confused - at the moment there are not obvious reasons why this happened, but we will definitely be trying again. My heart goes out to all the families who have experienced this hardship.
- —Guest Erin
22 1/2 weeks pregnant
- 2 weeks ago today I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl Francis, on the Saturday night went out for dinner with all the family, went to the bathroom about 9:00pm found abit of discharge I never thought anything of it. Turns out 2:30am Sunday morning was in a lot of pain didn't know they were contraction by 3:20 am my water broke. My husband and I were so scared waiting for the ambulance I had lost a lot of blood as well. We got to the hospital the drs said they couldn't do anything for our little girl I was so heart broken to hear those words. They had to quickly take her out off me because I needed a blood transfusion my husband thought he lost both of us but no they gave him our baby girl at 6:08am I woke up and held her 15min later she died she was alive for 4hours. My heart is so broken and empty miss her heaps.xxx
- —Guest Chrissy
23 weeks 5d preterm
- I went into Hospital last week at 22 weeks thinking I had an infection as I discharged a lot with one streak of blood. My doc found cervix 4 cm dilated and fluid /mucus plug leaking. I was immediately put on tocolysis drips and mag sulphate and antibiotics to prevent infection. I started steroid shots today. Am pregnant with twins. Not sure how long I can last like this? I am on strict bedrest with a Catheter etc. How did anyone in similar situation cope? So sacred when doc told me that membranes are sticking out and we need to take things one day at a time.
- —Guest sarita
- I think I went into preterm labor because I got verrrrryyy upset!! I was walking in a parking lot with my 2 daughters when this idiot lady just decides to back up almost hitting all three of us. So I yelled at her n she's yelling back. Then I went grocery shopping.. that night my back started to hurt so I took a bath... the next day I could barely walk. I called my sister n she drove me to the hospital they said I was 1cm dialated gave me shots of steroids n I was so scared I was telling the dr.s if my baby didn't make it I wanted to die with it. Next thing I know I'm very tired n I fell asleep they had given me demerol..early next morning I gave birth to mydaughter 1lb14oz. She stayed 12wks n is now 6 yrs old♥♥ love her to pieces
- —Guest luckymomma
- First pregnancy was 20wks.. had cramping n spotting went to the dr. N she said I was fine that night I gave birth to my 15oz son Angel I felt ashamed guilty depressed awful blaming myself for evrrything.. but I couldn't have done anything different
- —Guest mommabear
31 weeks 6 days
- I went into labor that Friday night, didn't think anything about it, got a hot bath and went to bed... Well I woke up the next morning with a major backache, went on about my day (even went to my softball practice), and went to the hospital that Saturday evening.. Was in for 5 days on magnesium.... That was the worst... I got the two steroid shots for my baby girls lungs, and was released 5 days later... Ended up contracting again at 33 weeks 5 days... Was admitted and they gave me fluids and the breathine shot... Sent me home... I am now 34 weeks.. And I am terrified about it happening again real soon... And also with the thought that all this medicine cannot be safe for me or especially her... I have been on procardia for over two weeks, and still taking them... And more with the contractions, I know they can't be safe.... :(
- —Guest Elmoremommy
1-15 of 46Next