From the article: When Pregnancy Announcements Are Met With a Bad Response
I'm pregnant! What follows next is a bunch of blank stares or even probing questions that shouldn't be asked in polite company. This is totally not what moms-to-be expect and yet everyday, the announcement of pregnancy good news is met with the story of how their family and friends were less than supportive. How did your family and friends react to your pregnancy announcement? Share Your Experience
- Not supportive at all... Bin told. They thot I'd be beta bt clearly m nt
- —Guest tipten
There's just no need for it
- I'm 19 and me and my 20 year old boyfriend have just found out that I'm pregnant. We hadn't planned it but we were a bit scared we were also happy as we knew that we wanted to get married and have kids soon anyway, and both sets of parents are happy and supportive especially mine as this will be their first grandchild, obviously they are all a bit worried for us, and our many sisters and brothers have been supportive aswell, except one. My boyfriends pregnant older sister is also pregnant with her first child and she has just acted horribly, but only towards me. she was saying we should get an abortion, to which we said it is absolutely none of her business, and then she deleted me on facebook, when i see her at my boyfriends parents house she pretends i don't exist. and she told my boyfriend to keep me away from her? Not that i kept trying to hang out with her or did anything to her. It's particularly stupid as my older sister is infertile and she has been the most suppotive.
- —Guest C
My family is not supportive..his is..
- im 19 soon to be 20 & my family told me how they were disappointed in me and how they wanted me to have an abortion. My fiance's family is happy..supportive..I'm wondering why mine isn't.
- —Guest Darrielle
Family members hurting me by actions.
- I am pregnant with second child 18 yrs after first child. Husband and I went through a lot of hard times he mostly created. But through hard work and counseling we are trying to start new. I have 4 half siblings who seem very distant and don't even check to see how I am doing or let me know when I send them pics or cards. I feel very lonely and hurt. My husband spread a bunch of lies during our rough times which I feel they see my pregnancy as a mistake. I keep hoping for a baby shower but gave up cause they don't seem to want anything to do with me and my family. I don't know what to do and saying something to them doesn't seem to help. This baby is a blessing, but they make me feel like I am making a mistake. They celebrated other family member's birth's and pregnancies, but mine they seem to be ignoring. Help, it hurts.
- —Guest Barbie
scared to tell!
- 4 years ago i found out i was pregnant to a man who was completely irresponsible and not 'dad' material. my mother was absolutely disgusted with me and to this day says that my subsequent miscarriage was a blessing. this vut me deeply and although i know she was kinda right it still changed my view towards her. in march this year i had a pregnancy scare with my new partner and she was exactly the same again, rather selfish if i'm honest. well now its 8 months on and we're trying, i'm so terrified of what her reaction will be this time as she doesn't think much of my partner but it is our life and i can't wait to finally have a bundle of joy
- —Guest terrified guest
- I'm 18 almost nineteen. Me and my husband got married last month. And now I just got the news were expecting. I'm terrified to tell my mom seeing as she lives 14 hrs away. I feel like I'll break her heart because she won't get to see her grandchild. As for. everyone else I think they will be fine. Just really worried about elling mom
- —Guest crystal
- I'm 33 years old, a housewife, I have 3kids the youngest is 14mnths I recently find out I'm pregnant told my husband he told me to terminate the pregnancy coz he cant afford another child, so wish I was working coz now I dont have a choice depending hurts
- —Guest Bongs
- My husband and I have been married for 16 years. We had a child 11 years ago that died shortly after birth due to complications of the birth. The pregnancy and death of our child was so traumatic for me, we thought we would never try again. Well after 11 years we decided to give it another go and after 7 months of trying.. success! When we told my mom that we were expecting, my moms reaction with a blank face...." was it on propose ?" No congratulations...no Im so happy for you...just (was it on purpose? ) My mom just sat there and made no other comment. I got the exact same reaction when I told my brother. You can not imagine the hurt and anger I felt. We are excited and happy and and the last thing I needed was negative responses from my family. We have decided to just stay away from them and live our lives the way we see fit.
- —Guest momtobe
Fast, very fast! But excited!!!
- So my fiancé of the time, which is now my wonderful husband , and I got pregnant in a month! While on birth control, but birth control doesn't work too well while on antibiotics! Lol, those antibiotics and God of course gave us our beautiful little miracle, who is now 1 and a half. When I found out I was pregnant, so fast! I was a little like wow, a excited wow! My husband was in shock at first but after a couple hours he was more than excited! His family was excited and so was mine... I knew I was pregnant even before I took the test... And I kept telling my pregnant sister and my mother that I felt like I was... My husbands best friends were like wow, that was fast, but they were very excited also. So we had a Great reponse... We are trying to conceive another little miracle again:) god willing it won't take long and we will have another blessing on the way! Congragulations to everyone trying to conceive and that are already mommys! They are miracles!
- —Guest Erin
- I'm 25 now & when me and my fiance found out we were pregnant, we waited until after my first doctors visit to tell anyone. we decided to call his family first, they were very suportive and excited. Then we called my dad and he was excited too. Then came the call I didn't want to make, I called my mom her reaction was "oh ok" like nice to know goodbye. Followed by 2 weeks of not answering my phone calls or speaking to me. Being pg for the 1st time I had questions and I wanted to talk to her. My mom eventually came around but now I'm worried about my sister 20 just found out her and her husband of 1yr are pg and the first thing she says is I'm gonna have to up your rent...(they live in my moms house while she lives @ her boyfriends) what kind of reaction. is that? I just think my mom picks the worst out of everything and has no filter so just blabs her mouth at whatever she is thinking @ the time. I just feel bad for my sister cuz I felt the same way. She knows I'm here for her.
- —Guest Amanda
- We recently shared the news that we are expecting #2. Our first child is one and will be close to 2 when the baby is born. When we told the entire family at once, there was complete awkward silence for what seemed to be 10 minutes. I just got up and went outside because I wanted to cry. When I came back inside still no one had said a thing to me. As people were leaving a good majority of them said congratulations (but it didn't seem sincere or happy to say it). A week later I still have gotten no response out of anyone and have been very emotional about it. I called my mom and left a message about how I felt. And my MIL told my husband that she kind of felt bad that we didn't get a "good" reaction to our pregnancy. Family is supposed to be supportive and happy for you. Yes this was a planned pregnancy, we own a house, 2 vehicles, my husband has a good job and I work part time so I can be home with our little guy. We are so sad!
- —Guest Donna
- Ive been tryinq for 11 months I think im finily pregnant but anyways CONGRAGULATIONS to every mama wish u tha best. Bby dust for tha rest.
- —Guest Mrs.Mora
Scared to tell our family
- We are currently 11 weeks pregnant and other than my husband and one of my sisters, no one else knows we are pregnant. This will be our 3rd child; we have a 2 year old and a 3 year old. Here's the problem: my sister is totally excited that we are pregnant again, but I don't expect that very many people will feel the same way. I am sure that my family will be supportive, but my husband's family...yeah, they don't care about our other two children, they flaunt their money in our faces and put us down for "not having enough" money to raise our kids and they must think we are horrible parents, because they are constanly telling us what we are doing wrong. I am afraid that they will have nothing good to say about this new pregnancy, so we aren't going to tell them. We will tell my family and then announce it on facebook. Word will get out to them eventually...since we hardly ever see or talk to them anyways, I doubt anyone will congratulate us and we have voicemail for their rude comments.
- —Guest Annonymous
So here we are...
- Well, I can't say we planned this one. My hubby and I just miscarried 7 months ago and he just lost his dad to cancer last month. I have a child from before him that's a pre teen and we have a 3 year old. My hubby has been struggling with a drinking problem and lately it's been miserable since his dad died, he's been relapsing a lot. I the one time we had sex this past month, we didnt use protection. And here I am, with three positive hpts. I told him on the phone today and after silence, he said he'd call me later. My sister scolded me for not using protection and said well if we didn't use north control that time, then we were trying to have a baby. Ok ok I know. So.... Yeah not good feeling all around. My dad is gonna be pretty upset given the turmoil with my husbands drinking. I just want to be happy about this new baby. I hope someone will be happy with me...
- —Guest Bebop
sometimes people suck
- Upon being told in our 20's that we couldn't have kids, now in our mid 30's, we are pregnant! My sister's response was "Oh. I thought you didn't want kids." when she knew we couldn't have any... (and really, we drove 3 hours across the state to tell everyone; would we have done that if we didn't want our little miracle?). Since, my mother is treating me like a mental patient and barely speaks to me... because I got annoyed at her telling me that me and/or my child were in grave danger because I'm using a midwife at a birthing center and doing natural childbirth (I'm very low risk)... so my frustrated response at her negativity was due to me being "hormonal" (which I really haven't been at all... I'm too happy and excited at the prospect of a baby the doctors said would never happen!). Sooo... yea. People suck.
- —Guest jen
1-15 of 34Next