From the article: Amniocentesis
Amniocentesis is a genetic test that can be done late in the first trimester and through out pregnancy. It can be done to look at whether or not your baby has a genetic problem or if your baby is ready for birth. Have you had an amnio? How did it go? Share Your Experience
- I'm a high risk mother (balanced translocation) and have had 2 amnios. Both turned out okay, if not 100% normal. 1st was a balanced translocation and 2nd was Trisomy X (3 X chromosomes). I have 2 healthy daughters.
- —Guest kylie1
- I had the amniocentesis which was no where near as bad as I thought it would have been.. I got the first lot of results the next day (FISH) unfortunately my test has come back positive for Downs and I'm still waiting on the full results. :/
- —Guest First time mum
- I just found out that I had a positive AFP screen. I was told that since I'm carrying twins its highly likely that its a false positive, but no guarantees. I'm terrified with this being my first pregnancy!! My US only showed one soft marker, one baby's femur length was shorter than normal. I'm really nervous about having amniocentesis but I think I would want to know prior to giving birth if anything is wrong!
- —Guest TwinMommy
Amniocentesis: Less Scary Than I Thought
- I was terrified before getting my amniocentesis. In fact, I wimped out the first time, and went back a week later to do it. But everything went smoothly. I kept my eyes closed during the process, so I didn't have to see the needle. The pain was similar to a blood draw. It was a little strange, because I could feel a tiny bit of sucking as they withdrew the liquid. Afterward, there was a little soreness (again, similar to when someone draws blood from your elbow), no cramping, and no bleeding. The results were clear, which is a great feeling. Doing the test saved me months of fear.
- The doctor had to insert "needles." The first time he did not go through the amniotic sac and the second as well. He had to call a second doctor and he came in inserted the needle and one min it was done. I just hope all is well with baby.
- —Guest myra
I was worried about the needle!
- It was huge. But it really did not hurt any more than any other shot, which really surprised me. I did some relaxation exercises during the procedure from childbirth class, that helped. The hardest was waiting for the results! I had the amnio after a bad AFP test and then the level II ultrasound. Baby was fine...