What is La Leche League International (LLLI)?:
This power breastfeeding support group offers online and personal support to women and their families surrounding breastfeeding and their babies. Despite popular belief, their goal is to help you meet your personal breastfeeding goal, be that a day, a week, a month or years. Each La Leche League Leader
is trained to provide support to women who are preparing to breastfeed, currently breastfeeding or weaning. Mothers attend meeting
prior to and after the birth of their baby.
LLLI also offers extensive counseling, online help and support in the way of their book for mothers, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Español
La Leche League International (LLLI) History:
La Leche League International was founded in 1956 by seven women meeting to help each other breastfeed. At the time, the US had a 20% breastfeeding rate. Basic philosophies
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
- Breast milk is the superior infant food.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
What to expect at a meeting?:
There are free monthly meetings held in many countries and most cities in the US. These are run on a rotation of four topics:
- The Benefits of Breastfeeding
- At Home with Your New Baby
- The Normal Course of Breastfeeding- Avoiding and Overcoming Difficulties
- Weaning and Nutrition
January starts with the first topic and they rotate three times per year. Though each meeting is done differently, despite the same focus.
You can choose to be a member of LLLI
. A membership provides you a discount at their online store, conferences and a copy of their journal, New Beginnings
La Leche League International
P.O. Box 4079
Schaumburg, IL 60168-4079
order department: 1+847-519-9585