I recently read a book from the early 1990s that said morning sickness was now a thing of the past. I bet you'd have trouble explaining that to those of us who routinely wind up hanging our heads over the toilet.
In any case about 50% of all pregnant women will experience some form of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. Trying to eat a healthy diet can become very difficult when you've also got to deal with problems like food aversions, a sensitive sniffer, and a growling, churning stomach. Here are some ideas to help you get along your days and nights, and hopefully feel a little bit better.
- Eat something high in protein before going to bed. Helps your blood sugar stay more level.
- Two crackers before your head leaves the pillow is old but wise advice.
- Have sips of ice water as the urge to purge strikes. Many women say that this helps them keep meals down as well.
- Flat Sprite® is supposedly great at keeping the stomach from churning.
- Avoid foods and smells that seem to trigger nausea. Sometimes this will be nearly every food or every smell.
- Ginger, teas, cookies, even the spice can be helpful in preventing nausea.
- Acupressure bands can be worn like bracelets and can curb nausea while you wear them. But be forewarned as one mom says, stand next to a bucket when you take them off!
- Smaller frequent meals can also help keep an ailing belly at bay.
- Peppermint, either smelling it in aromatherapy form or sipping the tea can help curb nausea. It's also known to help with sagging energy levels.
- Try peanut butter or other protein snack before rising from your bed.
- A teaspoon of cider vinegar in a cup of warm water has been said to be effective.
- Take a deep breath. It might be mind over matter sometimes.
- Comfort foods! Eat what you can, if it stays down it is probably a good thing. Slowly add more foods to your diet as possible.
- Sleep to avoid nausea. Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it.
- One mom swears by cold veggies soaking in water to help relieve the churning feeling.
- When possible avoid hunger, it can also make your stomach upset.
Remember that not all of these will work for everyone, try some and find out which work for you. Related: