1. Health

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

Weight Gain in the First Trimester

By August 4, 2009

Pregnant Woman on Scale

The first trimester is such a weird time. You're pregnant but you don't really show. You may or may not have told anyone about the pregnancy. You might feel great, which makes you worry. You might feel sickly, which makes you worry. But what about weight gain in pregnancy?

Many sources explain that there is a certain amount of weight that you gain in pregnancy. When left only with a number, the wise pregnant woman divides that in threes, one for each trimester. But that isn't really the whole picture. Your baby gains the most weight in the end of the second and into the third trimester. You may or may not have any appetite in the first trimester. Or your cure for morning sickness might be like mine, eat constantly in the first trimester.

Here's an example of a common concern in our forum:

Hopefully someone can relate. I exercise and eat healthy. I am 10 weeks and have gained almost 7 lbs. With our first, I gained nothing in the 1 st trimester, and gained a total of 26 lbs. by the time I delivered. I want to stay within this same frame. Is it possible too gain a lot of weight 1st trimester and slow down/barely gain until the third when it's all baby? I don't understand what is happening, but I don't want to gain too much for obvious reasons, including health. Just hoping to hear some similar stories of weight gain that evened out? I am not too bloated, or constipated. I am also not carrying twins. Help!

I've certainly seen this pattern before, personally. Thankfully mine was from all that cure the morning sickness eating. I actually lost a bit of weight in the second trimester as my appetite went back to normal. So what advice do you have for her?

Learn more about: Weight Gain in Pregnancy | First Trimester

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | PINTEREST | TWITTER

FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | CONNECT

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Photo © iStockPhoto

Comments
August 4, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(1) Jennifer says:

Hi :) Try not worry so much about it. Our bodies are such a mystery and with each pregnancy, it proves to be differant. This is my 5th child and Im 8 weeks, I have already gained 8lbs and I swear my belly has already taken it’s shape. I am thinking that onceI get past the 1st trimester, everything will even out. I do stay in shape (yoga, water aerobics, and I participate in 5 & 10k’s), so Im justletting mother nature take her course.

April 21, 2010 at 10:21 am
(2) Ashley says:

I’m having my first child and I’m only five weeks. I already feel as if I’m putting on weight. It could be from the morning sickness cure, but is it unusual to have put on weight so soon?

May 10, 2010 at 7:56 pm
(3) Pam says:

I gained 35 lbs by the end of my 2nd trimester. I was scared that I would gain another 30 lbs by the time I delivered. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and was put on a NO sugar NO fat diet. I started to see the fat in my arms and body melt away. By the time I delivered my daughter I had only gained 35 lbs through the whole pregnancy. So I guess it is possible not to gain any weight in the last trimester. Don’t worry, enjoy the pregnancy.

July 11, 2010 at 12:38 pm
(4) Dar says:

I’ve just completed my first trimester, and already, I’ve gained 15 pounds..I was a little worried about that since all of the literature I’ve been reading seems to suggest minimal if any weight gain during the first trimester.
Appearance wise, I don’t look “fat” but I definitely have a baby tummy. I felt bad about the weight gain, but now have decided that not all pregnancies are the same and perhaps I’ll gain less second and third trimesters to come. Perhaps rapid hormonal changes were playing a role in my gaining weight so quickly first trimester. This is my first baby. I’ll keep this post updated on how it goes along 2nd and 3rd.

Om Shanti.

July 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm
(5) Jenn says:

I gained 8 pounds my first trimester and now feel like a whale.Two vacations in less than a month has put me over. But now that I’ve hit the second trimester, my stomach is growling all the time and I want to eat. I’m trying to slow down and eat healthier options. A little less going out to eat.

July 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm
(6) Candice says:

I googled weight gain in first trimester because I was worried about the weight I’ve gained, all in my middle! I don’t have a scale but I know I’ve gained at least 4 lbs! I am only going into my 8th week and my eating habits are the same as they were before I was pregnant AND I am exercising more now. I was worried because most of the online literature suggests that I should only gain a couple pounds if that. Glad I am not the only one. BTW, this is my first pregnancy =)

July 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm
(7) Erika says:

Look at us ladies! Aways worrying and comparing, but it’s good to have support :) I’m in my 19th week and have gained 14lbs and was worried. I’m due Dec. 9 and getting comments like your big! It’s my second boy and I popped out a lot faster this time, but I feel better after hearing other in the same boat. thanks

August 10, 2010 at 10:30 am
(8) Tamika says:

I have gained about 8 pounds and I am 7 weeks pregnant. I’m eating normally and I was freaking out until I read these posts. I just hope this is not the onset of gestational diabetes. :(

August 11, 2010 at 11:29 am
(9) Tobi says:

I am 6 weeks pregnant with my third child. and have gained 3lbs so far. It seems that with all of mine, I gained several pounds in the First and Third tri. I will say that the major gain was always in the third. The third tri is when everyone wants to feed you! Never really got that, but by that time its hard not to give in to the love everyone shows you with yummy food. It will all be lost later, enjoy this short time in life. You will soon be all over the place :)

September 4, 2010 at 12:23 pm
(10) Magnolia2009 says:

Hello
I just started my fourth month and I gained 10 lbs so far, all in my stomach. My belly is huge, people believe I am 6 month pregnant but it’s all fat as the baby is tiny.
I didn’t eat a lot and I incredibly gained the most weight the first 2 months. I really don’t understand how it happened but my doctor told me it’s normal and it’s the way my body is.

September 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm
(11) LucyB says:

Hi, I’m about eight weeks pregant and have gained about eight pounds already. I do plenty of exercise and have always stuck to a very healthy vegetarian diet. I’m trying not to panic about the weight gain but it hard not to feel miserable when all my clothes are already feeling too tight! Especially as a lot of people don’t even know I’m pregnant yet. I am certainly hoping it will even out over the rest of the pregnancy. I am annoyed with myself for being concerned with my own physical appearance and am trying to eat the healthiest foods for the baby but it is hard not to panic! At least now I know I’m not alone!

September 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm
(12) Natasha says:

Hi, I am just over 5 weeks pregnant and have already gained 2lbs, This is my 2nd pregnancy and in my 1st i gained 58lbs!!!, yes i know it’s alot more than they say you should. I had no morning sickness so maybe that played a part? I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight (140lbs) 7 months later. don’t worry too much, every one is different, just enjoy your pregnancy. If you eat right and excercise you’ll be fine. Your body knows what it’s doing. but fingers crossed, i don’t gain too much this time around lol.

September 15, 2010 at 8:19 pm
(13) Kristen says:

I am almost 12 weeks pregnant with my second child and have gained 7 pounds Im worried because with my first I gained like 60 because I ended up with toximia (Preclampsia). Im trying to stay healthy but I find myself tired all the time. My doctor and nurse said it was normal and I was doing fine. But everytime I look in the mirror i feel huge. I guess Im just going through that transition from slim to pregnant, I can’t stand it, I wish I just looked pregnant. I am feeling the baby move alot though so that makes me feel better. Atleast I know the baby is ok :)

September 16, 2010 at 10:19 am
(14) Melissa says:

Hello, I’m 10 weeks pregnant with my first and people tell me I look 20 weeks and strangers have already asked me if I’m pregnant. I’ve gained 7lbs, but it’s all in my stomach. Before I got pregnant I was on a 1,100 calorie diet. When I found out I was pregnant I started eating what I was told to be the normal amount for my body type, 2,000 cals. I have not been able to exercise due to complications early on in my pregnancy and I’m hoping I can start within the next week or two.

3 things:

1. If I continue in this pattern (7lbs every 10 weeks) I will be 28lbs heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight by week 40. I think that puts it into perspective.

2. I think that exercise will help tremendously as it will keep a few lbs at bay and boost metabolism.

3. I am extremely short waisted which I believe is the reason I have started showing so early. When the uterus is beginning to push up and pushing on organs and everything else in my stomach, there is no where else for it to go, but out.

I have decided not to panic, but to continue eating healthy and begin incorporating exercise into my weekly routine (hopefully). I also need to realize that I’m not a model with a long waist who isn’t going to show until I’m 6-7 months pregnant (which some of my friends have done). I’ve been beautifully and wonderfully made and my body is going to carry this new life differently. :-)

September 19, 2010 at 9:41 pm
(15) Yvy says:

Thank god for this post! I’m 7 weeks pregnant with my second and am feeling like a whale already! I have put on at least 4 lbs when with my last pregnancy I had put on 4lbs at 20 weeks – and he was a 9lb2 baby at birth!
I’m glad I’m not alone in feeling like this, and lets not forget the amazing thing our body is doing – we should be feeling proud not down on ourselves!

I’m not eating any differently, and I’m on the small side to begin with, I just have to surrender to the fact our bodies are all different and each pregnancy is different.

September 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm
(16) Pammy says:

Hi, I’m 9 weeks pregnant and have gained 9 pounds. I know it’s because I’ve been eating constantly and not exercising (which I usually do to maintain 150 lb – I’ve always struggled with weight).

I’ve been really, really tired and exercise seems impossible. Now I’m a bit blue and I’m overeating sweets too, which I normally restrict.

I’m glad I came to this site because I see others are having simlar problems. My clothes are rapidly getting too small and I’m feeling enormous already. I’m really hoping I start to feel more energetic so I can get back to a healthier eating and exercise routine.

Thanks for your comments because now I have a new perspective on this.

September 26, 2010 at 6:27 pm
(17) Sarah says:

Thank goodness I found this string! I’m almost 6 weeks pregnant and have been feeling SO huge. I feel ashamed to tell people I’m pregnant because they ask how far along I am and I know I look like I’m in my 2nd trimester! I just weight myself and it appears I’ve gained 4 lbs! All in my belly, of course. But it’s not a cute belly — it’s just a fatty belly. Even my elastic-waist pants are tight and it’s so disheartening. I had gained about 8lbs after my wedding in April, and had been working on getting those lbs down but then I found out I was pregnant and shouldn’t be working on losing weight. I’m actually considering buying a belly band already so I can wear my pants!!!

September 29, 2010 at 7:08 pm
(18) emily says:

i have been feeling the same way, this is my 3rd pregnancy and i am 7 weeks along and have gained 6 lbs already and all in my tummy, i feel like a hippo…i exercise and with morning sickness i can barley eat as it is, so not understanding where the weight gain is coming from..i heard that the more pregnancy’s you have the earlier you start to show hope thats the case, with my 1st i gained 18 2nd 40 hoping with this one it doesnt double to 60..but glad i found this thread its comforting to know im not the only one.

September 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm
(19) Rebecca says:

I am 6 weeks pregnant today! This is my first baby and so far, it seems like I’ve only gained about 2 lbs (but that hasn’t been confirmed by my doctor yet). Snacking throughout the day definitely helps with morning sickness (which I haven’t suffered from too much) but I’m being very careful since gestational diabetes is a big concern for me. I’m hyper aware of developing G.D. since my sister-in-law had it and we are both overweight.

I wonder if your pre-pregnancy weight kind of determines how much or how little you’ll gain during your pregnancy…? Since I am so heavy-set, I know that I should only gain 10-20 lbs during my entire pregnancy but women who are slimmer can gain up to 40 lbs in a pregnancy and still stay healthy. I just hope I can stay on track with my eating! So far, all I’ve been craving is meat and sour candies…which is pretty much the opposite of how I usually eat! :p

Best of luck to everyone with their babies :) This is such an exciting time – enjoy every moment of it! Yes, even the nausea and wierd cravings. Just think of all the funny stories you’ll be able to tell your child when they’re older!

October 5, 2010 at 6:15 pm
(20) Emily's mommy says:

I am 6 weeks. People are already asking if I’m pregnant. I swear people have so much nerve! I don’t think my baby belly will hold out for the 3 months until I can tell people. This is my second child and my thinking is that my body remembers and is jumping back into gear. What do you think?

November 18, 2010 at 12:38 am
(21) Kay Leigh says:

I’m so glad I found this thread! I’m 11 weeks pregnant and I’ve gained 7-8 pounds. I’ve always eaten healthy and maintained a healthy weight while exercising a lot to stay fit. But now I’m (1) eating all the time to keep the nausea away, (2) eating way too many sweets which I never indulge in, and (3) exercising less because I am so exhausted! I feel like a fat pig – I had to dig a pair of “fat pants” out of the Goodwill pile to wear today. I’m embarrassed to go to my OB appt tomorrow and get weighed because I am this fitness fiend and I feel like I should be doing better at maintaining my weight. But I guess it is pretty normal? Thanks for sharing ladies!

November 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm
(22) Shawn says:

Funny… my 1st pregnancy I gained 12# the 1st 12 weeks… but total 35… I got down to my PRE PRE pregnancy weight and of course, got pregnant (planned). I am now 10 weeks and only gained 2#, Its amazing how every pregnancy is different. I say go with it. You have plenty of time to get it off chasing a toddler!!!

November 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm
(23) Vicky says:

I am 39 and 12 weeks pregnant with my first child. My mother has been a midwife for 40 years and she tells me I should not be showing! Well I feel huge and I do not know how much weight I have put on as I will not jump on the scales. I was active till I became pregnant but now I am just so tired that I find a hike too much and I get out of breath so quickly which is strange as before I got pregnant I was boxing, doing some huge weights and training for a half marathon. I could not even walk a 1/2 marathon right now! My eating habits have not changed, infact I could be eating a little less and to top it all off I have started getting stretchmarks! I am going to put it down to my age and enjoy this new experience AND WORLD I AM NOT TOO OLD TO BE HAVING A BABY!

November 30, 2010 at 7:42 pm
(24) KC says:

Oh my gosh…I loved reading these comments. I was freaking out today because I’ve gained 3 pounds. I’m going to get an ultra sound tomorrow to find out exactly how far along I am since my calculation and the doctors calculation don’t match up. Anyhow…I’m at least 5 weeks pregnant…the doctor is saying I’m farther along than that but we’ll know for sure tomorrow! This is my first pregnancy and I’m so scared I’m going to gain a ton of weight and not be able to lose it. But…I’m SO excited to be pregnant and a few pounds can’t ruin that! Thanks for your comments ladies!

December 5, 2010 at 8:07 pm
(25) Melanie says:

I am 8 1/2 weeks pregnant and have gained about 8 pounds. I have always struggled with my weight – at my heaviest I was 250 and got down to about 200 before getting pregnant. I’m a bit freaked out about the weight I’ve gained already. I’ve been eating more than usual because I feel hungry all the time. Some nights I wake up in the middle of the night and my stomach is growling. I feel lucky that I haven’t had much morning sickness yet – just constant hunger. My main goal right now is to eat as little sweets as possible because I feel that overdoing on those could definitely increase my chances of G.D. Also, it’s so nerve wracking being pregnant for the first time and being an “emotional” overeater to being with I am not so surprised by the early weight gain.

December 6, 2010 at 5:35 am
(26) emma says:

im 9 weeks pregant with my 5th child and have already gained 4lb but struggling greatly with feeling sick all the time so not worrying about the weight gain as eating is the only thing that seems to help it!

December 8, 2010 at 11:01 am
(27) Kristin says:

I am 7 weeks pregnant with my second and I stepped on the scale this morning and have gained 3 – 4 pounds already. I was a little dismayed so I googled weight gain and found this thread and was happy to see it. I have had a ridiculous appetite, not just cravings, but crazy hunger. I generally eat healthy things, but when you are so hungry you could move a freight train to get to food, you just have to eat! Either that or the world stops for me! No energy to do things, no patience to get things done, etc. Must eat food to keep me going.

December 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm
(28) Viv says:

I’m only 4 weeks 4 days and have put on almost 4 lbs! I am overweight and have been trying to watch what I eat and my calorie intake. I eat about 1800-1900 calories per day but already my pants and tops are tight!! I am so worried that I will put on so much weight. Does my metabolism slow down during early pregnancy?? Why am I gaining weight so quickly even when I watch my calorie intake?

December 17, 2010 at 12:53 pm
(29) suki says:

Hi,
im 21 and 8 weeks pregnant, i have not gained any weight and i dnt really show until after i eat and thats when my tummy looks round but apart frm that you cant tell im pregnant.
Am i supposed to b gaining any weight or not? I eat fruit constantly and try to eat my 3 meals a day, if i cant i eat atleast 2 good meals a day drink alot of water and juice.
also first pregnany =]

December 28, 2010 at 8:48 am
(30) Caroline says:

Hi ladies,

It feels good to see that I’m not the only one worrying. I know the important thing here is the baby, and that gaining weight is good, but at the same time, I also don’t want to gain too much. I’m 19 weeks pregnant and have gained about 18 pounds already, which freaks me out, as everywhere I read, and many other pregnant women I talk to in their second trimesters don’t seem to be showing at all. I’ve always been a very healthy eater (who still enjoys herself) and have exercised regularly for as long as I can remember. I’m 5″7 and started out at 115 pounds. Although I know it isn’t a lot, having always been slender, I am freaked out by how much the numbers have shot up… yet at the same time, I seemingly became allergic to vegetables in my first trimester and the only thing that would calm my nausea was pasta and cheese. And although nauseous, I felt as though I constantly needed to eat. Now my appetite has regulated and I feel normal again, but for the first time in my life, I seem to be allergic to regular exercise aside from my walks to work. I can’t explain it, but I feel as though this pregnancy is bigger than I am, and for the first time I’m being forced to relax… which, for a regular exercise lover, is bizarre, and I’m becoming afraid I’ll never be able to get back into my pre-pregnancy shape after the baby comes.

January 3, 2011 at 10:42 am
(31) Heather says:

Hi everyone,
i am starting week 8 and have gained about 4 pounds. i exercise regularly and eat very healthy. it seems that there are a lot of exercisers here who gained weight early. Does anyone think that maybe regular exercise during the first trimester causes early weight gain? Maybe we start increasing our blood supply and lung capacity right away or something? Well, that’s what i’m hoping for. Best of luck to all of you.

January 4, 2011 at 8:56 pm
(32) lyndsey says:

Hi! I’m 9 weeks pregnant, and this is my 2nd pregnancy. I have gained 6 pounds since becoming pregnant, and just like all of u, I was freaking out. My first pregnancy I had severe morning sickness and didn’t gain a pound in the first trimester. I’m a little sick every once in a while with this pregnancy, but not bad. I’m very excited to see what the future brings for us as this pregnancy progresses. Good luck to all u future mother out there!

January 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm
(33) amanda says:

hi all! I’m 29 and 11 weeks into my first trimester. So far I’ve gained about 8lbs. I chalk this up to the morning sickness cure, as I felt desperate to eat anything that would subside my nausea in my second month. Now it seems my appetite is subsiding. Hopefully my nausea will too. Good luck everyone. And as my boyfriend keeps reminding me… “youre not fat, you’re pregnant” :)

January 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm
(34) Delia says:

soooo glad to hear i’m not the only one feeling fat!I weight train& do cardio 5xs a week,now that i’m 7wks i feel like my body has been invaded by the bodysnatchers!Im known as the fat police when not pregnant! so i have no energy,lack strength& have given into my cravings for things i would only eat 1x a year!This is a big surprise to me & my husband who r 40 and have a 9yr old !

January 31, 2011 at 9:02 am
(35) Monique says:

Hello I am 40 yrs old 7 weeks with my second pregnancy the 1st ended with miscarriage. I very blessed to be doing so well at this point however I am noticing hips are GROWING!!! I work out, eat right and the scale is steadily creeping UP AND UP!!! So far its 3 pds but I was told by my LPN not to gain any right now and trust me I am not eating any extra (my husband is)!!! So I feel your frustration our hormones are going so crazy right now I dont think anything will control the weight!!! Wishing blessed healthy babies to you ALL!!

February 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(36) Amber says:

I had lost over 100 pounds and have been working hard to maintain for almost a year. I had bad morning sickness for about a month and was thrown way off my normal diet and exercise and gained 16 pounds but now, at 11 weeks, I dropped 7 pounds once I was able to get back to a healthier diet and exercise and I just hope I can maintain this for a few more weeks until I have to start gaining again.

March 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm
(37) Nutella says:

I’m barely 8 weeks pregnant and have gained 6 pounds! My clothes still fit which tells you how they hung on me before (I’ve been underweight my whole life). It’s very exciting to see how clothes are actually supposed to fit. My belly is weird though – very flat in the morning, but by night-time, I get really bloated and look about 3 months pregnant. Is this normal?

March 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm
(38) Mousemama says:

I’m a little concerned. I am 12.5 weeks pregnant and have gained nothing. In fact, I lost weight in my first few weeks, due to some horrible morning sickness. I lost 6lbs and put 3 back on, so I’m still 3lbs below my pg weight.

My husband is worried, too. I’m even more worried now, since the morning sickness has returned with a horrible vengeance.

I am a normal, healthy size 7 in my pre-preg state, and am already in maternity clothes with a belly that looks several weeks ahead of where I am.

I’m trying to take in more calories, but everything makes me sick. =( Protein bars help sometimes, but I can’t really live on protein bars and fruit.

March 15, 2011 at 9:42 pm
(39) Jessica DiDonato says:

I’m so happy to be reading all of your posts. So, I guess I’m not the only woman in the world worried about gaining to much weight! LOL I’m pregnant with my second child. I think i’m about 7 weeks and I’ve gained 4 lbs. so far. I freaked when I got on the scale! I’ve heard your second child you gain more in the beginning, then it evens out… I hope so!!

March 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm
(40) baby #1 says:

i am almost 8 weeks pregnant and i think i gained some weight before i got pregnant, but i hadn’t weighed myself in a while. i think i’ve gained about 6 or 7 pounds and this is my first baby. i didn’t eat much before i was pregnant so i started eating more in order to make sure the baby is getting the nutrition it needs. most of my weight gain has been around my belly and in my breasts. they’re ENORMOUS! i wear a sports bra all the time because they hurt so much and it makes them less noticeably huge. it makes me think that i may be further along in my pregnancy than we think i am… or maybe i just gain weight in my breasts first. anyone else getting huge boobs in the first trimester?

April 20, 2011 at 6:46 am
(41) Jen C says:

Add me to the list of people freaking out about weight gain. I lost 50 pounds last year to prepare myself for getting pregnant (I wanted the give myself the best chance for not developing PIH again). I’m 9 weeks today and gained roughly 4lbs. My boobs are HUGE. I’m a small B cup usually, but I’m easily a C cup now and wearing maternity/ nursing bras to bed so keep the girls happy. I’m petrified about weight gain after losing all that weight. My clothes don’t fit, I feel huge. It’s funny, we wanted this pregnant, but I can’t get over the number on the scale!

April 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm
(42) Hannah says:

Hi I am 6 weeks pregnant I only found out last week huge surprise but very excited. I have been googling weight gain and pregnancy as I was shocked today to see I had gained 15 pounds which is a huge amount! I have read some of the other posts and seen weight gains of about 4 pounds and 8 pounds. My hips also seem huge my boobs have gone up 2 sizes and my belly is huge too. I have been eating alot as I feel hungry all the time. My start weight was 11 stone 4 now Im 12 stone 5. I put this down to the fact that before I was pregnant I was on a constant diet to keep my weigh down. The weeks before I found out I was pregnant I have found it hard to stick to my diet Im guessing this is the hormaone changes. Speaking to friends most of them lost weight in the first trimester from being sick or not being able to eat much. Im thinking the best way to deal with it is think well as long as Im eating good food thats good for the baby putting alot of weight on is better than being sick. Im also making the most of it as

April 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(43) keanna says:

Hey everybody I am 6 weeks pregnant I feel so sick n the morning I dnt have a appetite for nothing. I want to gain weight in b happy. Please help me.

May 3, 2011 at 10:14 am
(44) Joan says:

Hi all,

I have the same problem as well. I’m 11 weeks pregnant (1st pregnancy) and I have already gained 10 lbs…
I was totally fricked out!!!!
I have not nausia and I don’t feel I’m eating more than before. Though I feel like my bosy is overfilled with fluids!!

For the ladies that haven’t gained any wait, please don’t worry!! Just enjoy how lucky you are!!!! :)

May 17, 2011 at 5:25 pm
(45) Taylor says:

Hi

I’m 37, 5’7″ and 12 weeks pregnant,
my pre-pregnancy weight was a constant 10 stone…so
so far I’ve gained 10 pounds. All in my boobs,
arms and stomach I might add! A lot of that could
be the sickness cure… eating small meals regularly
was the only thing that made my morning sickness better.
Most of my clothes still fit (although a little snug) until this week… now I find it hard to wear anything that’s not elasticated or maxi!

I was freaking out…just a little bit…given what the midwife
and doctors say is ideal weight gain. I am so so glad
I found this post!

June 1, 2011 at 9:57 am
(46) michelle says:

Hey ladies! I am 12 weeks and i’ve gain only 1lb i eat normal, the first 9 weeks i was going to the gym but now i am lazy again i also didnt eat or drink anything with sugar with my first baby i gain 50 lbs and lost it 5 months after giving birth the last trimester with my first baby they send me to be in a diet but it was too hard to do, I end up having a c- section and now with my second pregnancy i going to take more care of my health i weight 135 and i want to gain 25lb altogether now, ladies pls take care of yourself and exercise is good for you and helps your pregnancy.

June 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm
(47) Ellen says:

I’m really glad I found this. It’s awful to be so worried about my weight when I should be more concerned with looking after my baby but I didn’t expect to see such a change so quickly. I haven’t even had my first midwife appointment yet but we worked out I was around 7-8 weeks and I’ve put on about 8 pounds. Most of my bra’s are really digging in and my tummy is round like I’ve eaten a football – I look like I’ve put on more weight than I have! I’m probably eating a bit more to help with the sickness but not much really, I probably didn’t eat enough before I was pregnant and now just eat properly. I’m really hoping it calms down a bit over the next few weeks or else I’ll be like a wahle when this baby arrives.

June 21, 2011 at 7:20 am
(48) Lillian says:

Hi ladies!
I feel a bit better now..Im 12.5 weeks and have gained 7 lbs. But I am a personal trainer! I havent told my clients..they prob think Im not practicing what I preach (because Im not!). Years of healthy eating thrown to the wayside as all I wanted was yummy comforting fattening food for 2 months. I am starting to come back to reality and seeking out more fruits and veggies – I hope it all evens out to a healthy weight and baby. I cant lie though..those 2 months were fun : ) Even my fit hubby put on 5!

June 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm
(49) sherry1 says:

I am currently 13weeks and i have not gained any weight nor have i lost any. I thought it was strange that i didnt gain any seeing as though i never had morning sickness or anything to slow down my eating…maybe im lucky for now, im sure ill blow up later :)

July 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm
(50) Valeree Gouge says:

I just found out i’m pregnant with my second child! :) Very happy! But i havent missed my period yet, its due on the 13th but doesnt look like its going to come!I think im around 4 or 5 weeks! I’ve already gained 5 pounds!!! My sister just had her second child, she gained Alot of weight right from the begging..can anyone tell me if that’s just were we’ve already had a child before? Bc i look big already!!

August 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm
(51) Shawnna says:

I am 20 and 6 weeks and 4 days pregnant with my 1st child. I was an extremely healthy person, I was a pro boxer, training for a fight running upto 6 miles everyday. 2 weeks before my fight I was extremely tired, and was getting extremely light headed from the littlest movement. I have gained 4 pounds right away, but now my appetite has died, and I am not in the mood for much food what so ever. I gained 7 lbs for my fight, then gained another 3 to 4 after finding out I was pregnant. Do to this wieght gain, is am always tired and out of breathe. But it’s healthy wait. When I gained to wieght for my fight i still had abs, now at 6 weeks and 4 days I have a rounded pouch in my lower abdominals. I am wieghing in at 140 right now.

August 26, 2011 at 6:07 pm
(52) Gina says:

I believe I am only 5 weeks pregnant with my second child, could be possibly 6 weeks or so, and am FREAKING OUT because I have gained 11 and a half pounds. I am overweight, but this is out of control. I have been watching my calories and not snacking etc. Saw Dr. today and he put me on a 1400 calorie diet.

If anyone has advice, help please!

September 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(53) Rushija says:

I am 14 weeks pregnant and have gained 8 lbs as of today (just came from the doctor). My OB states that I shouldn’t really start to gain until about 16 weeks, so I should be careful to avoid gaining too much. I admit that I have not exercised as much as I normally do with regular dance classes, and I’m always hungry (I never had morning sickness). I’m hoping that as I begin my second trimester I’ll begin to slow down on the weight gain. FYI, one of the big concerns on weight gain is that the baby will be large and complicate the delivery. I’m having a C-Section, which reduces the chances of this being an issues.

October 16, 2011 at 11:33 am
(54) Jennie says:

Hi everyone! I guess nobody in October is having any weight gain quandaries? Well, let me be the one to break the ice. I’ve had two babies already, and understand that the body’s physical memory of of expansion causes our bodies to “show” much sooner in the second and third pregnancies than in the first. I’m 6-7 weeks into my third pregnancy and have already outgrown my regular clothes and am feeling tight in my “fat” clothes. With my first two babies I only gained totals of 14-18 lbs in 40 wks, not more than 4 or so in the first trimester. Well, with this little guy I’ve already gained 8 lbs!! I exercise every day and have not changed how I eat at all. So, what could be going on!? I feel like I have no control over this pregnancy and it’s frustrating and a bit depressing. I want to wait another 5 weeks or so to tell my family I’m pregnant but in the meantime I feel like they think I’ve let myself go. How annoying the ego is when it comes to our vanity! The health of the baby is all that matters–yes–but what about the mental health of the mom? Please tell me there are rational reasons for weight gains like this!!! If I know it’s not me, I’ll be happy feeling chubby until I can share with everyone why I am!

October 24, 2011 at 2:13 am
(55) Liz says:

I am 11.5 weeks gone with baby number 2 and I have actually lost a pound or two!!! Very strange as I look like I’ve put on a stone- all around my belly. Can’t wait to be able to tell people I haven’t actually been raiding the biscuit tin. Baby number one, I’d put on about a stone by this stage, and in total I gained 3 stone. I was overweight to start with back then, and managed to loose my baby weight and an additional 2.5 stone of lard afterwards, but it was a long hard slog. I’m hoping that this time round I don’t gain too much but as the other posters have said- the body remembers, and sometimes despite a healthy lifestyle, it just seems to pile on!!!!

November 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm
(56) Jane says:

So glad to find this blog! I’m 7 weeks and I’ve gained 7 pounds and I swear I look pregnant– it’s all in the belly! I have a crazy appetite! I am trying to eat a little less and make healthy choices, but it’s great to know that I’m not alone. Thank you ladies!

December 27, 2011 at 11:05 am
(57) Theresa says:

Wow! I don’t know what to think! This is my fifth pregnancy including one recent early miscarriage and I’ve already gained 7 lbs at 5.5 weeks! I am doing my best to eat healthy and my eating habits have only increased intake slightly as that’s the only cure for morning sickness but this is out of hand! I know this ones a boy and. It’s require more energy but geez! I am worried because my clothes are already too tight and I’m not even at week 7! Plus I don’t want gestational diabetes and to look like a whale! Help me!!!

December 30, 2011 at 8:38 am
(58) Jungleusa says:

On my first pregnancy, I was in maternity clothes before the end of my first trimester (gained 40 lbs total, lost it all and then some). On this, my 2nd, pregnancy, I started off a few pounds heavier than normal as I was having trouble getting pregnant – due to ammenorhea – at my nice and healthy weight. I’m between 6-7 weeks now, and it is so difficult to keep the weight gain to a minimum being pregnant over the holidays! I am very active with running and crossfit and while I’m never quite happy with my weight, definitely am in the normal BMI range the majority of the time. So far I have gained at least 5 pounds – but I normally gain about 5 pounds between Christmas and New Years – now however, the weight is centered on my belly and like one of the earlier posts, I wake up in the morning and my clothes fit, but by the end of the day I’m a bloated mess and the waistbands are tight. I’ve heard that it’s not good to squeeze the belly into tight waistbands so I’ve already gone from my normal size 6 wardrobe to my size 8 pants, and I see a belly band in my very near future so I can hopefully put off maternity clothes until 14 weeks.

February 12, 2012 at 5:44 am
(59) Dima says:

Confused! I’m 14.5 weeks preggo with my second and have already gained 13 pounds. I try to eat healthy (considering I’m pregnant!) but every once in a while I give in to something sweet. I didn’t even give my body a chance to get back to normal, as my first is only 7.5 months. I gained about 40 pounds during my first, and I was slowly getting back to normal but pregnancy weight gain is the most stubborn! I recently started working again (9-6 in an office). I just started boxing and doing weight training this month at least 4 times a week. In the morning I look fine but by the end of the day, my belly looks like I’m 7 months pregnant! What’s going on?

March 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm
(60) agnes says:

I’m 12 weeks and I’ve gained 10 lbs (according to the ‘data’, this is at least 6 lbs too much at this point in my pregnancy!). I was pretty thin to start at 6″0feet tall and 140 lbs, but my body is now completely unrecognizable 3 months later. I’m definitely showing and starting to wear maternity clothes because it simply feels better. I’m 42 with two older children. Maybe I’ve forgotten what pregnancy was like but after reading all these comments I think the professionals are misleading women and making them feel bad. I, like many women on here, have been eating healthy things in response to my natural hunger (which is pretty constant) and in response to a nauseous feeling which seems to only be relieved with food. I would love to eat light and not gain a pound, but for heaven’s sake!!!…I’m pregnant, and it seems as if bigger forces are at play. I’ve been trying to keep up my workouts, but mid-workout I could just fall asleep in the gym….isn’t that a sign too!!! Women, we need to listen to our bodies….trust this process….be proud of our pregnancies…respect our individuality ………and stop giving a darn what the books and the charts and this thin-obsessed culture has to say!! Be smart, be healthy….but most importantly…be at peace with your pregnancy!!! It really is such a divine opportunity that we only get to experience a few times a lifetime at the most.

April 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm
(61) erin says:

Thank god for your postings. I’m a little more than 6 weeks pregnant and have gained about 4 lbs. I took my measurements today and in the last 2 weeks I have gained TWO inches on my waist and an inch on my hips. I’m just as active as before, I’m not eating more (in fact, I haven’t had any wine or late night junk). My pants are definately feeling snug. I am pretty thin, so maybe that’s why it’s affecting me so much. But if I keep gaining like this I won’t be able to fit into anything. I feel like a hippo. I’m glad it’s not just me.

April 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm
(62) Jennifer says:

Just stepped on the scales and nearly burst into tears, how could I have piled on this much weight : ( I’m 10 weeks and have put on over 10 lbs, I was walking everyday before I got pregnant but I’m so exhausted I stopped,feel like I’m asleep more than I’m awake these days and eating constantly because it helps the constant nausea, I feel a little better after reading all these other posts, I know I need to start exercising again and not eating anything and everything I want…good luck ladies :D

April 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm
(63) Faith says:

Hello Pregnant women, I am so relieved after reading these post. I am about 7 weeks pregnant and I have gained about 4Ib, I am a pretty healthy person but i gained 7Ib prior to conceiving and that is so frustrating that I am pregnant and can’t diet and exercise to lose. At first I didn’t care if I was pregnant I wanted to diet but after reading the post I just decided to eat healthy mostly fruits/vegetables, walk every morning and enjoy my pregnancy. I don’t have any nausea or morning sickness and sometimes I which I did so i could lose weight but now am I glad I don’t have any major discomfort, the only bad sign i have is i am very tired and want to sleep all the time. Good luck on your pregnancies girl and it is definitely a blessing so enjoy it

April 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm
(64) Mary says:

Hi ladies!
This is my first pregnancy and I am about 6.5 weeks pregnant and have put on 4 pounds since last week! This thread was so helpful, as I also read all the materials on not having any first trimester weight gain and it freaked me out! I had just lost 12 pounds prior to finding out I was pregnant and worked out a lot and ate about 1300 calories per day. In the past week and a half, I have been eating constantly to keep the nausea away, and I know I have been indulging, but I was pretty worried when I got on the scale. I am too exhausted to work out right now, but hope to be able to do a couple of walks per week until I have more energy.
*** I also tried something new today, ginger tea and saltines, and I feel less nauseous. I am hoping I can cut down on calories now, and not eat constantly.
I am so happy to be pregnant and I feel better now!!! Good luck to everyone!!!

April 17, 2012 at 4:00 pm
(65) Emma says:

I am 12 weeks pregnant and I have put on a stone in the last couple of months. I couldn’t believe it when I was weighed by the midwife last week. I am worried about it putting on the weight. I don’t feel comfortable this big and don’t want to be overweight. I have felt sicky since 4 weeks and ate lots of sweets, cakes and chocolates to feel better. Since I was weight I haven’t touched a biscuit and will do more exercise soon as I hope to have more energy in the second trimester.

I hope breastfeeding does make the weight drop off.

April 29, 2012 at 5:53 am
(66) ayoush says:

I am 13 weeks pregnant with my first pregnancy,and i have already gained 2 kgs. sometimes i am less than that on the scale,which confuses me as i cannot understand why my weight varies everyday. i am worried because that it more than the 4 pounds recommended in the first trimster.i measure my thighs noremally whcih do not show to be getting bigger yet but i have a small tummy and 2 sizes bigger breast. so everything counts in my weight now.besides logically the baby is growing inside and that counts pretty much. i feel hungry all the time now which never happened before as i used to weigh 48kg before getting pregnant and my BMI was 17.5 which ,means i was underweight. i think the baby needs food all the time. my doctor said the moment you feel hungry you i should eat because that means it is very needed and i should eat anything that i crave for as long as in regular portions because again craving means that the body is in need for that typr of food. enjoy your pregnancy ladies and dont worry abo0ut weight. just think that you have a new human being developing inside you and you should make sure it is healthy,all the weight could be dealt with after pregnancy. weight wouldnt be your concern when you see your baby healthy.

May 3, 2012 at 9:52 am
(67) Christina says:

Thank GOD I found you guys!!! I am 8 weeks and 4 days pregnant and have gained almost 8 pounds!! I never got morning sickness but I am hungry all the time. I was told by my doctor to ease up on the exercise for now since I had some bleeding occur a couple of weeks ago, so i now I just feel like a lazy fatso.. I was getting worried about the weight gain since every book i read says you should only gain an average of 5 pounds during the first trimester.. Well that was a joke cause I am way past that..It was very comforting and reassuring to hear all the comments on here about everyone else gaining just as much weight as me I guess I will have to wait and see what the second trimester has in store… . I wish you all luck!

May 5, 2012 at 6:55 am
(68) abigail says:

This post is a god-send!! Like many of the ladies here I am usually very active and healthy. Since becoming pregnant (I am 13 weeks) I have been nauseous and exhausted and have been lucky to get to the gym once a week. Also, have been constantly hungry. My nausea gets worse if I don’t eat and I get hungry very quickly after eating! I think I have gained at least 7lbs, which has been making me feel a bit low. But since having my scan and seeing a healthy baby and reading all your posts here I feel so much better. Am hoping it will balance out over the pregnancy and that the 2nd trimester is better!

May 16, 2012 at 8:58 pm
(69) Lindsey says:

I am 6 weeks preg with my 2nd (1st with my new husband) and have gained 4 lbs already. I feel just fat and flabby, I’m 5′ 2″ and usually about 125. This morning the scale was 129lbs!!! I was already wanting to lose weight b/c I’ve gained 10 lbs in the last couple years and feeling very self conscious. I’m so excited about being pregnant but am constantly worried about gaining weight. I have never eaten as healthy as I have the past 3 weeks and I’m working out daily. My first pregnancy I lost 6 lbs during the first trimester, then rapidly gained about 40 lbs btw the 2nd and 3rd getting bad stretch marks. It took me almost 3 years to lose the weight. I was only 20 with my first pregnancy now I’m 33 so I’m hoping my metabolism won’t slow down after baby is born. I’m not going to worry about it anymore and just enjoy my pregnancy since this will most likely be my last. Good luck to you all. No worries :)

May 21, 2012 at 6:49 am
(70) Katie says:

I’m 12 weeks along with baby#2, and I’ve already gained 11 pounds. This is exactly the same pattern as with baby #1, and with my daughter I gained 20 pounds in the first 20 weeks. However, I only gained 30 over all. I work out a lot (and have been able to throughout the pregnancy) and while I’m definitely eating more, I think most of the weight gain is just my athletic/relatively low fat body trying to prepare for pregnancy. Everyone is different!

May 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm
(71) Kelly says:

Wow!!! So glad I’m not alone with this!! I am about 5 weeks preg and I gained a good 4 pounds. I have been trying to eat healthy but if I look at food I seem to gain weight. My work clothes are all tight and I feel horrible about myself. I haven’t done any exercising since I found out because I’m not sure what I can be doing. I did order some prenatal work out dvds that I’m pretty excited about. I am just trying to enjoy this as much as I can, this is my first. Guys have it so easy!!!! Their bodies don’t have to go through this, however they do have to deal with our mood swings :) Good luck with your prenancys ladies!

May 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(72) pregnancy says:

You are so not alone!

May 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm
(73) Jay C says:

Almost 8 weeks pregnant with my first! My secretary is 36 weeks pregnant and we have the same OB–she said the OB yelled at her yesterday because she’s gaining too much weight. She’s a TWIG with a BASKETBALL taped to her midsection for God’s sake!! Now I am terrified because I’ve gained 8 lbs already and I will see Dr. Meanie on the 29th. I think if he yells at me I’ll cry. It’s bad enough I’m sitting here with my pants unbuttoned typing this!! I eat healthy and run 3 miles every morning. Is it water weight? My fiance is losing weight and toning up for our beach trip next month and it makes me hate him.

May 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm
(74) Gretchen says:

This is my 5th pregnancy and I will just say, every pregnancy is different. Just make ‘healthy’ choices in your diet, make sure you are drinking plenty of water and listen to your doctor. (Stay away from excessive carbs, sweets & fats.) I have gained significant weight in some of my pregnancies and rest assured, my body returned to it’s proper weight every time. I’m 5’11″ and about 150 so literally starting off at ‘ideal weight’ for my height. This time around I have only gained about 3-4 pounds in my first trimester, but in previous pregnancies nearly 15. I had very healthy babies in the 9 – 10 lb. range. Try not to worry too much about the weight gain – your body is doing what it needs to in order to support that beautiful life with you! Your body will return to normal.

June 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(75) Nikki says:

I had gastric bypass and was eating around 1200 calories before pregnancy excersizing 4 times a week and losing about 5 lbs a mo. I am now on my 7th week and was HORRIFIED to find that I gained 10 pounds during my 6th week. In one week! Having been through so much it seems a nightmare to have this happen despite trying so hard to be healthy. I am a tall person 5’10”. Some days I am up atleast one pant size and my boobs are huge. I have continued the exercising the last few weeks and have been limiting my calories to under 2K to make sure I am getting plenty for me and baby, but not too much. There is NO explanation for 10 pounds in one week. I actually did lose 4 the next so I am up about 6 pounds total now on my 7th week. My husband says he thinks it must be a lot of water weight, but I can’t help but want to cry all the time about everything I’ve been through and now despite my best efforts this happens. I feel so awful because I don’t want to put this pregnancy at risk by eating to little and not sustaining it (that was a concern with me eating and absorbing so little before the pregnancy) , but on the other hand am terrified about sliding back into a terribly unhealthy lifestyle. Pray for me ladies, because I am seriously freaked out! Most posts I am reading even here don’t explain a 6 lb net weight gain in two weeks! Help!

June 12, 2012 at 10:58 am
(76) Jamie says:

So glad I found this site. I was getting very discouraged because I’m 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant with my third child (fifth pregnancy – 2 ending in miscarriage) and have gained 3-4 lbs already. The day I found out I was pregnant, just over a week ago, I was at my lowest weight in years, 201. I am obviously overweight, but have recently started exercising much more and keeping my calories down to 1200 or less a day using myfitnesspal.com and the weight was coming off very easily. Nothing has changed, other than being pregnant, and now every time I step on the scales I cringe. I know I will gain weight (although with my 2nd child I lost a total of 8lbs and had an 8lb 3oz baby 3 weeks early) but had no idea it would come so early when I’m eating so healthy and exercising so much! Will talk to my OBGYN when I go for my first appointment and hopefully she will tell me everything is fine. Sure hope this baby is as healthy and big as the first two (both over 8lbs and 37 week babies) and I’m able to get a grip on this rapid weight gain. Can’t gain 4 lbs every week! Have mercy!

June 13, 2012 at 11:05 pm
(77) Amy says:

I am so happy I found this forum! I am 38 and have always been fairly petite, but I am now 9 weeks pregnant with my first child and I feel like a complete whale. I have gained 4 pounds, and even though the doctor didn’t say that was “bad”, I’m still worried that I’m gaining too fast. Also, now besides how sick and lethargic I am, I also feel like I look disgusting too. I can’t even imagine how big I’m going to get as the pregnancy progresses! And it’s sad that I haven’t been exercising at all because I’ve been so tired and sick. It does seem silly to worry about this when there is such a miracle happening, but it’s all quite scary. I’m glad I’m in such good company. I want to try and stop worrying and just enjoy this time…

June 16, 2012 at 3:02 pm
(78) Jessica says:

Honestly I wasn’t too worried about my weight gain at first. I’m 6 weeks along and just happened to mention to a friend that if I don’t get some morning sickness soon, that I’ll probably gain a lot of weight. Her response made me so annoyed that I had to find some kind of proof that I’m not a freak. I have been eating fairly healthy and not to excess at all, I definitely can’t eat a full meal like I use to. She told me I shouldn’t gain much if I eat healthy, and that working out will prevent it. I don’t know about any of you but I’m exhausted ALL of the time, I’ve tried to work out and can’t even make it through the stretches. I’m so thankful for this thread, I feel like I’m normal and can enjoy being pregnant.

June 28, 2012 at 1:48 pm
(79) Kellie says:

I am almost 12 weeks and I have gained about 5 lbs already. Glad I found this site because I have been freaking out about my weight gain. I got down to my goal weight right before I got pregnant which was a 110-111ish now I just got on the scale and weigh 116. I am 5’2 and have a petite frame. Does this sound like way too much weight for me to have gained already?? Everything on me already seems huge – my thighs, my boobs, my stomache, my arms..I feel disgusting. I was really getting into running and exercise a couple months before i found out. I have worked out twice in the last 6 weeks! I have no energy to barely go for walk. I am constantly hungry..I will literally eat a meal and feel hungry 10 minutes later. Im eating pretty healthy – turkey, fruit, protein bars, but i am eating a lot of pasta because its filling. The hunger pains are so bad it keeps me up all night and i end up eating almost every 2 hours through the night..sometimes even a sandwich so itll hold me over longer..my mother in law is my midwife and she says its normal and that my metabolism is just very high from the pregnancy and that the baby is made of protein and amino acids so its soaking all that protein up. Are there other woman out there struggling with serious hunger issues like me?? I cant ever feel full! and if i do..its like for 10 minutes…everyone is telling me second trimester is better…really crossing my fingers

July 2, 2012 at 9:19 am
(80) Anna says:

Hey I’m 19 and this is my first pregnancy. I just reached my 11 week mark and I’ve gained 5lbs. I feel so huge. Especially after I eat, I get this little pooch at the bottom of my belly. It usually goes away after a while and my tummy gets flat again. But I still can see the weight gain. I eat alot of fruit and stay away from meats but I feel like I’m still packing it on. I hope this subsides and my weight gain will even itself out :)

July 3, 2012 at 2:47 am
(81) tracy says:

I gained 12lbs before I fell pregnant, I’m now 9 weeks pregnant and gained a further 3lbs. I haven’t been eating very healthily and my exercise routine has stopped completely. Reading all these comments I’ve decided to eat better and start walking. To have a healthier pregnancy. Its good to know that I’m not alone in this as people have been making comments about my weight gain.

July 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm
(82) Tara says:

Hi Ladies! This is my third pregnancy and with my previous 2 i have not been lucky to say the least with weight gain. My first pregnancy i was on bed rest for over 7 months and gained 97lbs, my second pregnancy i gained 62lbs but put on my first lb at 16 weeks. This pregnancy i have lost weight so far due to morning sickness but totally look pregnant already and cant fit in my jeans! Im hoping to stay healthier this pregnancy since due to complications with my first 2 pregnancies im on very limited exercise!

July 23, 2012 at 7:04 pm
(83) could i be pregnant says:

Me n my boyfriend had sex 2 days before ovulation he didn’t cum in me. Its been about 2 to 3 weeks now I’ve been Moody I’m hungry a lot. I’ve gained. 8 pounds in one week. I’ve missed my period everyone is calling tht a late period. But could I realty be pregnant

July 24, 2012 at 9:46 am
(84) pregnancy says:

Yes, you really could be pregnant, take a pregnancy test.

July 25, 2012 at 7:33 pm
(85) calimama says:

I’m 8.5 weeks pregnant and have had a constant gnawing hunger since week 5 or so… Accompanied by nausea and vomiting too! But I’ve gained about four pounds already and am worried that I’ll keep gaining… The feeling like I’ve got a hole in my stomach is maddening and only food helps– and only for a little while! Anyone experienced this and then it let up after awhile?

July 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm
(86) pregnancy says:

This is exactly how I spent my first trimester, calimama. It did go away in the 2nd trimester and I never gained a lot in any pregnancy, not even my twin pregnancy. So don’t panic too much!

July 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm
(87) calimama says:

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better! :)

July 30, 2012 at 4:50 am
(88) Rlyn says:

This is my second preganany and Im 8 weeekspregnant. And same with all mums here Im a bit worried of gaining weight. I am always hungry. So I need to eat most of the :( On my first pregnancy is totally diff experience as I have worst morning sickness on my first tri, and still gained a lot of weight. But on my 2nd tr onwards I fel totally diff and everything is just normal Im not fat as a pregnant woman.

Hoping this 2nd pregnancy will be more enjoyable journey and we are wishing for a baby boy now :)

Goodluck mommies and take care always! ^_^

August 16, 2012 at 12:28 am
(89) New mommy says:

I’m glad this thread is up! I am about 7 weeks pregnant and I have gained 6lbs already. I am only 5 feet tall so my belly is already pooching! I have my first doctors appointment in a few days and I am worried the doctor will tell me I have gained to fast so I need to eat less or workout more. Just like all of you, when I get off work I can not move, and I am finishing school. Hopefully everything goes well! Good luck to all of you!

August 21, 2012 at 3:42 am
(90) MrsKelly says:

Great to read everyones’ posts =) I am 12 weeks pregnant and have gained at least 10 pounds, but I was looking pregnant at only 9 and 10 weeks! For some reason, my body immediately put on weight – thanks for the support guys =)

August 21, 2012 at 5:27 pm
(91) jaderz2010 says:

I’m sooo glad i found this thread, I thought i was going mad or just imagining that ive gained soo much already, i’m usually a size 10(uk), now a size 12, first pregnancy, 7 weeks, my boobs were 36D now bloody DD and AGONY!!! SOOO happy i’m not the only one!! I can start to enjoy it now, my doc said that the weight gain is because your body is storing water and vitamins and nutrients, I havent been eating anymore or less, no morning sickness yet and the only exercise i do is walking alot in work and to and from work!!!! Lets all stop worrying and be glad our bodies are working sooo hard to help our little baba’s grow!! And also that dorothy perkins has a maternity sale on ;) CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!!!!!

August 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm
(92) Talia Rose says:

All these tips made me feel better about my pregnancy. i am 12 weeks, my first pregnancy. i’ve only gained 3 pounds, but my belly looks as i gained 10 pounds. its already round, hard, and looks like im pregnant. i wasnt sure if it was normal or not. it would be pretty crazy if i was already starting to show tho, i cant imagine how big i would get by the time im 40 weeks. (:

August 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm
(93) natasha shields says:

I’m 6 weeks pregnant with my second baby. During my first pregnancy I gained close to 50lbs, about 10 in the first trimester. I think I gained so much because I wasn’t trying to really watch what I ate, I was starving all the time and was never sick lol I’m 10lbs away from my pregnancy weight, so I have to really make sure I only gain 30lbs this time. I’m hoping to only 5lbs in the first trimester! I’m walking two miles a day and doing my best to.eat very healthy!,

September 3, 2012 at 10:57 am
(94) Christine says:

I have enjoyed reading everyone’s comments as I am in the same group of pregnant ladies who gains a lot of weight in the first trimester. I have had 2 children and am trying for a third, so far each time has been the same. I eat constantly trying to cure the morning sickness which seems to help but then I gain too much and my doctor gets mad. With my second I was healthier and ended up gaining more then with the first. Everyone’s body is different, try not to let it take over this special time : )

September 5, 2012 at 9:23 am
(95) Anna says:

I am 7 and a half weeks pregnant and have gained about 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I am a exercise instructor so I get high intensity and high impact cardio/strength at least 5 days a week. The clothing exercise clothing I have to wear for work are not forgiving at all and I have not told anyone that we are expecting as of yet. There have been a few students that have noticed my body change. I am getting really self examining! This is my 3rd pregnancy and I don’t know why it looks like I have put on a bunch of weight. I am frustrated!!

September 10, 2012 at 9:13 am
(96) DK says:

I feel horrible and am just shocked at how much I have gain. I am a high-risk pregnancy (41) I was on the thin side and now at 7 weeks I have gained 10 pounds – It looks like I am pregnant. I have not really increased my intake but I always have been active and since I am high risk I can’t do anything. Thanks for the advice on GD since I do have a sweet tooth and will stay away from the sweets. It is hard because I have a possible miscarriage – we will know for sure on Friday becuase my numbers dropped/ I keep praying that my numbers were so high to begin with that even with the drop they are still high that it is just a fluke because nothing has happened – I just keep gaining weight and my breasts just keep getting bigger. I hope everything is alright – even though this shocks me I would do anything for this baby to be ok.

September 11, 2012 at 12:40 am
(97) abby says:

wow! what a relieve I am 10 weeks pregnant and i have gained 10bls! these posts have helped, my breasts have especially grown am eating constantly unlike my other two pregnancies! hope all goes well as in notgain too much by the time I deliver!

September 14, 2012 at 4:53 pm
(98) candy says:

This is my first pregnancy and I’m a little concerned as I am only six weeks but I am starting to look like my friend and she is well into her second trimester.

September 16, 2012 at 11:14 pm
(99) Diana says:

Hi, I am 15 weeks pregnant and I have gained 16 pounds so far. I was worried but I have decided to just start back eating healthier. I crave sweets and cheese everyday and I just recently lost 100 pounds by eating heaAlthy. I don’t want to pack on all those pounds again.

September 18, 2012 at 8:56 am
(100) Natalie says:

In my first pregnancy I gained 40 pounds my whole pregnancy and then after having my daughter I didn’t even look like I had a kid I dropped 20 pounds after having her. I’m pregnant with my 2nd now and my size 9 and my size 11 pants don’t fit I only gained 7 pounds and I will be 14 weeks this week.. I don’t want to gain as much as I did before so I’m watching what I eat and when I’m up for it walking at the gym and doing a little weight lifting. I got passed my pre pregnancy weight and I just don’t want to see all that hard work go it took me a year to get there I’m eating all the time and more healthy than my past pregnancy so hopefully I won’t gain 40 pounds this time

September 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm
(101) 6 weeks so far says:

I am 6 weeks pregnant and I don’t have scales & don’t need them to know that I have definitely put on weight. I am 5 foot 3 and normally a slight size, no more than 55 kg with small breasts (75A) My breasts have at least doubled in size and are growing overnight – I had to purchase a new bra already and they are very sore and tender to the touch. I also have a very swollen stomach so I certainly look pregnant – normally my tummy is flat but I am bloated and swollen with a definite baby belly, even if that baby is not even the size of a peanut. I am normally quite fit and active and I have been incredibly tired – I have had weird cravings – lots of dairy and then wanting peanut butter. And the sight of some food makes me feel so ill. I am also constipated which is something I am usually not. And I can almost forget my wardrobe. That’s my two cents ladies. Oh, and this is my first.

October 1, 2012 at 1:10 am
(102) Valerie says:

Hi ladys,my comment us alittle different i had m3 tubes tied in juky and later in july found out i was pregnant since they missed the pregnancy byt my baby made it to my uterus im now 15 weeks pregnant im so worried becouse ive gained 24 pounds since surgery i dnt kbw if its from tieing my tubes or from pregnancy or both i need help ive been eating the same idk wht im doing wrong :(

October 5, 2012 at 9:37 am
(103) Sareena says:

with my first I gained 55 lbs and could not turn down sweets. I am 13 weeks now with Number two I have only put on 3 lbs. I try to only eat sugar once to twice a week, and for the most part i have given up bread. High grain crackers were my best friend for morning sickness the first trimester…and we are running out of pickels and olives at our house. I am not trying to diet i have made a choice to think before i put food in my system. but as all of you I worry not that i have gained to much to fast, but should i be gaining more? i crave protein not fat.

October 8, 2012 at 1:00 am
(104) Melissa says:

I am sure most weight gain in first trimester is water weight from feeling bloated, because your body is changing.

October 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm
(105) LauraD says:

I’m 11 weeks pregnant and have gained 6 pounds. I’m 5’5 and my weight was 127 when I started and am now at 133.6. I feel HUGE. But it’s my own fault. I’ve been eating Hostess cupcakes, oatmeal cream pies, french fries, spaghetti, garlic bread, pringles.. pretty much everything I didn’t eat before I got prego. I just feel hungry all of the time. I know I’m making the wrong choices and I know I need to stop. I’m going to make it a goal to stop today and switch to only eating healthy. I also need to start exercising again. I do NOT want to become fat. I’ve been fat before and have no desire to go back there.

November 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm
(106) j says:

It’s my first pregnancy so everything is a mystery to me! The first month or two I was pregnant I had a lot of nausea/vomiting and barely ate anything but in the last month or so have been making up for it, eating crackers which I haven’t eaten in a long time. When I went to 2nd mat appointment this week, they told me I gained 12 lbs in 3 mos!
I can’t believe it! In the past couple of weeks my belly has gotten really big but I don’t feel like I’ve gained weight anywhere else, just my clothes are tight in my midsection.
DH is getting me a treadmill, we were seriously considering it before my appointment but after hearing I gained 12lbs I need to start exercising again. I was just sleeping alot because so tired!
I’m trying not to freak out over it, I’m even thinking maybe they weighed me incorrectly at the first mat appointment? The doctor said, you’ve gained too much weight, you should have only gained 3-4 pounds.
I can’t figure it out, usually when I gain weight like that, I notice. The only thing is my belly, I’m really showing!
Hoping that I don’t gain much in the 2nd tri.

November 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(107) Tanya says:

I am 13 weeks and gained almost 7lbs.. My doctor wants to monitor my weight.. He said that’s a little more than you want to gain in your first trimester.. Should I be worried??

November 11, 2012 at 10:49 am
(108) Mummy to Haris says:

Hi. I’m 5weeks preggo with my 2nd baby. Iv not gained any weight as of yet with this pregnancy but my first was a total different game. I put on about 4 stonnes altogether. Yes it was down to being Hungary all the time and giving into all cravings of fatty and sugary foods. This time I’m determined not to put that much weight and have started eating healthy n excercise. Good luck ladies!!

November 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm
(109) Rochelle says:

I am 12 weeks, and I have been FREAKING out about my weight gain. I’ve gained 5lbs this trimester. I feel like I have gained 15lbs, tbh I was shocked when doctor told me I only gained 5. Its all in my belly and i’m just not use to looking down and seeing a bump (obviously this is my first). another concern is that I’m 30 and this is my 1st so I’m worried about my metabolism lol. But i’m glad to see that my concerns are normal especially for 1st time mommies!!

December 4, 2012 at 7:47 pm
(110) Skylar says:

OMG I am ONLY 6wks and have already gained 8lbs how is this possible… This is my third pregnancy and I only gained at the most with both my boys 25lbs and never gained any in the whole first trimester or leading into the second trimester… What’s going on???? I am going to be a whale by the time I deliver :-(

December 5, 2012 at 12:49 pm
(111) erin says:

Phew. It’s great to see so many other women with this same problem. I am 10 weeks and I’m going on 6lbs as of today. This is my first pregnancy and I’m 29. It feels awful because of all of the books I have read about the “normal” weight gain being 0-5lbs in the first trimester. I used to exercise MORE than I am now, but I am still active everyday. I lift 5x/wk and do some form of cardio 6-7x/wk. I just had to cut way back on my intensity. My usually very green vegetarian diet has turned into way more carbs due to all-day nausea. In the back of all of our minds we know that no two women are the same, but it is really hard to read the scale everyday when you are outside of the “normal” stats. Thanks everyone for sharing, it really made me feel a lot better about all of this.

December 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm
(112) Noor says:

Hey Ladies,
Im 7 weeks pregnant an have already gained 4 kgs (8pounds)!! My boobs doubled in size and my stomache is HUGE!
i have always been fit and do yoga regularly. Now i am eating healthy and havent eaten sweets since i got pregnant but still the weight goes up!
Im happy that its somewhat normal.(Now I know from this thread)
this is my first pregnancy and its made me pretty frustrated
good luck and hopefully it will get better with time :)

December 31, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(113) Liz says:

I feel so much better now! This is my first pregnancy & im 23. I normally weigh about 135, 5’8 & have already gained 7-8lb at 12 weeks. All my clothes are getting tighter. I love to eat tho…lots of sweets & cheese, but go to the gym regularly. But i feel like ive been eating more & working out less. Ive been wearing baggy clothes & tshirts to the gym b/c my stomach looks like im 4+ months pregnant already! lol but im just enjoying being pregnant & will maybe have to start watching what i eat now

February 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm
(114) Theresa says:

This is my 3rd pregnancy and have already gained 20lbs in 9 weeks! I gained a total of 80 lbs with my first which I lost within the first year and then quickly became pregnant right after with my second where I didn’t gain any weight my first trimester and didn’t start packing on the pounds until my 5th month and still ended up gaining about 70 lbs by the end. My body just seems to gain weight no matter what. I always eat healthy and I have to stick to low carb/calorie diets because I struggle with my weight. I was a normal weight when I got pregnant this time but I think because my body is so used to low calories that the extra calories I have been eating to ward off nausea, even though it has been all healthy foods like fruits and yogurts and peanut butter (which I never ate before), my body isn’t used to the extra calories. Both of my other babies turned out perfectly healthy. I had no complications in my pregnancy or delivery. I think my body just gains alot of wieght during pregnancy. I am hoping now that I am starting to feel a little better I can get back on a regular eating diet and start exercising again and not gain anymore weight til the last trimester. But honestly, everybody’s body is different. As long as the weight you are putting on is from healthy foods, I wouldn’t worry about it as much.

February 19, 2013 at 8:46 am
(115) JayDee says:

I am almost 6 weeks pregnant and feel like a whale already. According to the scale I have gained only around 3lbs already…but it feels like a lot more! I feel extremely bloated and my pants/skirts feel tight. It doesn’t help that this morning my wedding ring was so tight it was hurting! I think it might be bloat so I am going to focus on drinking lots of water going forward. Like a few of you I have been eating really well, but not too much, and I have been exercising every day (30 to 60mins on the bike, and a minimum of 30mins of walking) so I don’t think I have gained any ‘weight’…just bloat. I am hoping anyways!

March 10, 2013 at 8:24 am
(116) Ms. Jojo says:

THANK YOU JESUS! lol. I thought I was going crazy or just over indulging….. I am 35 yrs young, this is my 1st pregnancy. I am now 10wks and have already packed on about 10lbs. I have a pooch in my mid section and my breast have gotten a tad larger. I have nausia daily but only one episode of morning sickness thus far. I can’t sleep because my stomach is forever growling. So as I’m reading the constant eating is referred to as “Morning Sickness Cure”…weeew, I sure pray it subsides and I’m able to drop whatever weight I’ll gain shortly after the baby arrives. (~_^)

March 10, 2013 at 4:54 pm
(117) pregnancy says:

I subscribed to the constant eating theory a few times too. It did seem to help me.

March 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm
(118) life is good says:

I’m in the same boat as you JayDee. I’m at six weeks and I changed my shirt this morning from one that was significantly loose and long a few months ago but is now catching on my middle and stretching a little up top. I’m almost exclusively gaining weight in my middle and a little on my behind, which is a pattern that is nothing like normal for me. I don’t have a scale so I don’t know how much I’ve put on, but at least a couple inches. I figure, though, that if I’m gaining it in a pregnancy fashion then my body must be coping with a baby need I don’t know about. Just go on walks if you feel up to it, do what you can, eat healthy, and realize that the baby might need this, we’re pregnant, after all. It’s also possible that there’s a lot of amniotic fluid so your uterus is bigger than normal, right? Be happy. It’s for the baby and it’s only for a handful of months. Viva la maternity clothes!

March 21, 2013 at 6:40 am
(119) Leslydee says:

Hey I’m so glad I’m not alone (: I just entered to my 6 weeks and only gained 1.5 pounds but I feel huge my pants feel tighter every day. This is my first pregnancy and I have no morning sickness thank goodness(: I only feel sick after every meal does anyone feel the same way? Any advice?

April 11, 2013 at 8:37 pm
(120) ERIKA says:

Im 6 weeks and I feel hungry all the time. This is my second baby and I didn’t fell this way the first time around. I’ve gained like 2-3 lb and I cant stop feeling hungry !!! Sleep and hungry all the time !!!

April 11, 2013 at 11:28 pm
(121) pregnancy says:

It can be so miserable to feel starving. I had that with a few pregnancies. It seemed like eating helped keep some of the yucky feelings away, so I just tried to graze on healthy snacks.

April 30, 2013 at 11:34 pm
(122) Amanda says:

I think that eating well and staying active are key, as much as possible forget about that scale! I was really worried about gaining weight during pregnancy as staying slim has always taken a lot of effort for me but due to horrible morning/all day and night sickness I actually lost weight in the first trimester. I was really conserned about the affect not gaining “the right amount” of weight could have on my baby but my doctor assures me that as long as I’m eating healthy, keeping my fluids up and making sure something stays down then what the scale says makes a lot less of a difference then most of us think.

May 8, 2013 at 7:14 pm
(123) Sarah says:

What an awesome blog! I am 10 weeks along and definitely feeling a lot bigger than I thought I would. I’m only 5ft 2″ so there’s really not much room AT ALL for the extra weight to go. I’m a pretty curvy (but very healthy) girl anyway so the curves are beginning to get out of control! I think the main culprit is the ALL DAY sickness and that the only thing that helps is eating. I snack on mostly healthy things but it’s still a lot of extra snacking going on. To be honest I’m trying not to care though. I mean at the end of it all we get a gorgeous wee bubba so I’m ok with a bit of extra weight. I just can’t wait until it looks liek I’m pregnant rather than just fat!! :)

May 15, 2013 at 10:23 am
(124) Jai says:

Comment 123 sums it up for me. I am 11 weeks and have gained 10lb. Like her, I wish I looked preggo and not fat! I was really worried, but thank goodness I found this thread.

May 16, 2013 at 4:18 pm
(125) Jeannie says:

I am 3 months pregnant (13 weeks) finally done with my first trimester with my very first baby and i haven’t gained anything at all. I was worried. even more concerned now that it looks like most of you gained atleast 7lbs the first 3 months.

June 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm
(126) dee says:

I’m 33 this is my first pregnancy. I have gained a lot of weight. My family is constantly asking either am i having twins or further along than what i say. I eat healthier I’m waiting for my next appointment to ask questions

June 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm
(127) Stephanie says:

So I’m 31 and pregnancy as by for the first time. I just found out this past week. I’m assuming I’m about 4 weeks. Going for my first doctor appointment in 3 weeks as the requested. Anyways, I weighed myself this morning . And already I’ve gained almost 4 lbs. It’s all in my stomach and I feel aweful. My cute shorts are too tight now. Is this normal? I’m 5 ft tall and worried this will lead to a lot of weight gain. I’m always hungry. Help please!

June 11, 2013 at 9:56 am
(128) pregnancy says:

Stephanie,

Hang in there, not everyone gains weight evenly or deals with pregnancy food cravings in the same way – particularly with morning sickness. At four weeks, you may be building up for a period of time when you’re not hungry. I’d say go with your instincts and make good food choices. Your weight gain is not likely to stay at this level for a sustained period of time. If you are worried talk to your midwife or doctor and ask for a referral to a nutritionist for advice.

July 10, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(129) jess says:

so glad to know that i am not the only one feeling the way i do! everything i have read up until i found this site has said women tend to gain very little weight, if any during the 1st trimester so knowing that i had gained 9lbs at my 12 week apt was very discouraging! i may be having a harder time with this since i have always struggled with my weight and am very scared that i am going to have a difficult time losing the baby weight after birth. i am 5’2″ and have managed to maintain (with exercise), my weight at about 130 for a few years now. i found out i was pregnant and was already a few pounds heavier than the 130 so that didnt help things. i feel and see the weight everywhere. my clothes are already so tight which makes me feel worse about the weight i have gained. i either feel hungy and therefore eat, or nauseous and therefore eat. when i am naceous i find my self going for bread and cheeses which are probably 2 of the worst things i could be craving. i also feel hungry all the time! i have been keeping up with regular exercise which makes it that much more frusterating to know that i am eating so much that the exercise doesnt seem to make a difference – although i would hate to see how much more weight i would have gained if i wasnt exercising :(
i guess i just needed to vent, and knowing that others are going through the same thing at least somewhat helps, also hoping that i can slow down the weight gain over the next 2 trimesters – #wishfulthinking!

July 24, 2013 at 10:38 am
(130) Heather says:

This comment could have been left almost verbatim by myself. I feel the same way! This is my first pregnancy and I too have gained 7 pounds in the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. I have always been slight of build – 5’4″, 111# for the past 20 years. I haven’t changed my diet except to add more 1-2 more servings of fruits and vegetables a day (which is about 100 – 150 extra calories/day). And I still workout daily as I did before pregnancy. Since basically nothing has changed in diet or exercise and pregnancy is the only variable that is different, I can only assume that my body is trying to pack on a little bit of weight to gear up for this pregnancy. Unfortunately this concerns me because I was hoping to gain my weight slowly throughout pregnancy and not half of it in the first trimester. I don’t know what I could possibly do that is different. Fortunately my husband seems supportive of whatever my body looks like. Any guidance for slowing down my weight gain? Should I cut back my calories? I worry that doing so may only compromise the health of my baby. Has anybody else had this experience?!? I would like to be able to fit into my prepregnancy clothes once I deliver, but maybe this is not a reality.

July 26, 2013 at 12:23 pm
(131) Brittney says:

This post definitely made me feel better. I have been weighing myself everyday watching the scale go up devestates me :( This past year before I got pregnant I had lost over 50lbs…everyday I got compliments on how good I looked. Now, I am only 8 weeks pregnant and I feel like such a cow. I feel like I’m getting depressed because of it :( I am carrying twins but I still don’t understand why I have already gained 8lbs when my babies are the size of grapes!!!! I work out as much as I can. I also have a seven year old son that tires me out and a full-time job as well. I have been eating as healthy as I can and drinking tons of water. I want to enjoy my pregnancy but I can’t when I am freaking out about my weight gain!!!!!

August 13, 2013 at 7:45 pm
(132) TiffNKell says:

I am about 4-5 weeks along with my 1st baby and I feel like such a cow as well! I am a fitness instructor and workout normally 6 days a week a few hours a day. Since finding out I have cut back a bit because im scared of what could harm the baby and everything I read makes it worse. I am maintaining the same healthy eating habits but I feel like I want to eat so much more now! I haven’t had any morning sickness or nausea at all yet but I have put on nearly 6 pounds and I’m kinda freaking out :(

October 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm
(133) Courtney warden says:

Is it normal to feel as if you have stomach pain and constipated while pregnant?? And go to sleep with a bloated belly then wake up and it’s kinda looks like it lost weight?? And getting up and down at night alot or wake up randomly with belly hurting??

October 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm
(134) pregnancy says:

Lots of moms have gas and bloating as a problem in pregnancy. Do you find that some foods are more offensive to your system than others?

November 17, 2013 at 5:50 pm
(135) vicky says:

My clothes feel tighter and Im gaining weight round hips
I feel vey heavy round there whats it mean? And getting back ache

November 30, 2013 at 3:01 pm
(136) Karma says:

Hello,

I’m really worried. I had my first pre-natal appointment yesterday and she said that I had gained 19 lbs!!!!! I was taken aback! I knew that I felt heavier but not 19 lpbs heavier- I’m only 10 wks pregnant.

I have not been even eating that much but have been very inactive due to the constant fatigue. Seeing women worried over 5-10 lbs on here has made me even more concerned.

Any advice.

December 20, 2013 at 3:07 pm
(137) Sarah Necus says:

Hi.

If we all googled this, then I really think we must all take heart and comfort in knowing we’re not alone.

I am 6 weeks pregnant with my first. I got weighed I was a bit shocked to find I was about 6lbs heavier than I thought I was. And boy, my breasts are about three times the size. I have a soft tummy and like many of you, haven’t radically changed eating habits.

In my case if I’m honest, I may have gained 6lb or I may have gained 3lb now and 3lb before I was pregnant and just been kidding myself. For those of us that don’t weigh ourselves religiously, I think we have to consider that maybe it crept on before.

About a year ago, I was told by a doctor that however small we are usually (I’m quite slender), that we need a certain covering of fat to conceive well and healthily. He told me that the starting weight of a pregnant mother is just as important if not more important than what we gain and as some of you wisely say, pregnancy is about embracing whatever we gain.

We are better off having a little extra than not having enough, which can really be bad for baby and make us really tired.

I think eating is good. Exercising is good. And nature will take care of the rest.

I’m off to the fridge. I wish you all the very best and thanks so much for making this forum. Solidarity is everything, and seeing so comments is a joy because we are all so totally, absolutely, normal!!!

xo

February 4, 2014 at 11:10 am
(138) candice says:

i am glad i found this iam 6 weeks and 3 days, so far it doesn’t feel like i have gained anything at all. i have been trying to eat healthier things and 3 meals plus snacks, i do work out doing pregnancy safe ecercises. but so far my tummy just feels jiggly, it does have me worried. with my frst pregnancy my end weight was 155 i started at 110, is this normal this no weight gain has me worried.

February 23, 2014 at 6:41 pm
(139) Reema says:

I am 11 weeks pregnant and have already gained 8 pounds. I used to be pretty active. I find that i am so tired all the time and i crave sweets to give me a little bit of energy. I also find that the nauseau hits me really bad if i don’t eat every two hours. in those moments you just grab anything you thin will make you feel better.

this site definitely made me feel better,

March 10, 2014 at 9:47 pm
(140) nicole says:

I worked out and ran a lot pre pregnancy and probably had pretty low body fat, as i hardly got my period. The first month, i wasn’t very hungry and didn’t eat much and still gained like 5 pounds. The next two months, i had the worst nausea ever, all the time, and i couldn’t throw up but only eating all the time helped and i felt too sick to run or workout. I gained another 10-15 pounds. So i gained 15-20 pounds in the first trimester! Towards the end of the third month my appetite returned to normal, even though my nausea still sucked. Now around month 4 my weight has plateaued maybe even gone down a couple pounds and I’ve been able to work out a little and eat more normal than i was. And people are freaking out about 10 pounds!

March 12, 2014 at 10:39 pm
(141) susie says:

I can relate to the last post. I am a work out junkie also, or was. I am only 6 weeks into my second pregnancy but have already gained 7 pounds. I am way to exhausted to exercise so far. Hopin it will get better. My first pregnancy I only gained 10 pounds!

April 5, 2014 at 4:15 pm
(142) Tina says:

Hey preggo’s
I have felt really conflicted the last few days about my weight gain and the last few weeks about how much I am showing. I put my weight in a pregnancy app and it said my weight gain is exssesive. It made me feel horrible. This is my first baby and I am 12 weeks. I have already gained 15lbs. I have decided after reading all of the ladies comments here I am not going to worry any more! There are plenty of women who gain a lot in the first trimester. Until my doctor says its a problem. It is no longer one for me!

April 6, 2014 at 5:11 pm
(143) pregnancy says:

I’m glad you’re feeling better about it!

April 14, 2014 at 11:15 am
(144) michelle says:

I’m 15 weeks and 3 days. Before i got pregnant i weighed 183 now i weigh 230. This is my 4th child an i get huge with each one. The most amount I’ve gained was 200lbs with my 2nd&3rd an 150lbs with my first. I’ve never had high blood pressure or any complications except swelling. So i guess every ones different. I see is nobody gets as big as i do. How horrible it is to have u doctor. wanna take a pic of u an put it on there wall bc u biggest pregnant woman they’ve ever seen. This is what my doc wanted

April 17, 2014 at 10:55 am
(145) Heather says:

I am the same way. I am about 5-6 weeks we think. I haven’t seen a doctor yet. So not 100% sure. I have gained so much weight. I don’t have a scale, but my pants barely button. I feel huge. My boobs are huge and they hurt so bad. I am borderline overweight (on the overweight side) anyway, so I’m freaking out about this weight gain. But I just feel hungry all the time. No morning sickness but I get nauseated when I don’t eat. Still I eat and an hour later I am starving again.

May 14, 2014 at 8:17 am
(146) elena says:

I am 33 yrs old–very petite at 5 feet tall. This my 3rd pregnancy. I am about 5 weeks pregnant and I have already gained 2lbs. My pre pregnancy weight was 116– and now I am 118. Any advice on safe pregnancy work out and eating tips. Thanks everyone!