From the article: Vanishing Twin Syndrome (VTS)
If you've been told that you're having twins you might have also been warned about disappearing twin - where one baby is lost via miscarriage or absorption. Have you experienced this syndrome? Worried about it? What happened? How far along were you? What were you told? Share Your Experience
- My mum was on holiday in her ninth week of pregnancy with my fraternal and I when she started bleeding heavily. At the next ultrasound they could only hear one heartbeat and it is my earliest memory; a confusing sharp sensation in my body when the bleeding had stopped.
- —Guest Lizzie
I had a feeling....
- I had a feeling I was going to have twins...but it was more like a joke until I saw the ultrasound. I was 10 weeks when I found out we were going to have twins and that one had stopped developing. It was a happy/sad moment......but the baby that is left is healthy with a nice strong heartbeat....which ultimately makes me happy.
- —Guest Jocelyn
- I found out I had been pregnant with twins when I started having a miscarriage at 7 weeks, an ultrasound scan revealed one twin had stopped developing but the other was the right size for dates. It has caused very mixed emotions.
- —Guest Aileen
- I am 8 weeks pregnant now and before 2 weeks the doctor told me that I have two embryo sacs I was very happy and excited about having a twins at home but yesterday he checked me again by ultrasound and said that only one is left and he's healthy and I saw the heartbeat.
- —Guest eshraim
I didn't even know...
- I didn't even know I was pregnant with twins. I had some bleeding and I had an ultrasound. They told me that my baby was fine but that I had been pregnant with twins and one had died, that's where the bleeding was coming from. I was about 8-9 weeks pregnant.
- —Guest Sara