From the article: Induction of Labor
At the end of pregnancy you may be trying to jump start labor. Perhaps you're facing a medical induction or nearing 42 weeks. Have you thought of trying some of the things you've heard about to induce labor? Some I've heard about include: sex, nipple stimulation, castor oil, spicy foods, and bumpy roads. What have you tried? Do you have recipes for certain foods? What did your doctor or midwife suggest? Share Your Experience
- I.was so tired of being pregnant.. I.was 37 and half weeks pregnant and I.couldnt take it..so I.drunk.awhole bottle of castor oil..within hr I.was having bad contractions.. I went into the hospital at 8am and my.pressure.was high but the contractions wouldn't open me up.. I tried to go narural but I.couldnt hang. I begged.for the epidural which slow my labor down.. I.was stuck at 6 centimeters for 6 hrs then they had to do and emergency csection because my son head wouldnt fit because of the scar tissue
- —Guest jasmine.sumner
- I have tried Castor oil, Evening Primrose oil, nipple stimulation, ridicolous amounts of sex, walking, bumpy car rides, having my membranes swept. Nothing has worked! This little girl is sooo stubborn.
- —Guest Artiemis
castor oil works
- I was 38 weeks and uncomfortable took 1drink of straight castor oil had my son 24 hours later I was in labor 1hour at home got to hospital pushed 10mins and gave birth to 8 pounds10oz healthy baby
- —Guest camie
had membrane sweep
- I had a membrane sweep with my first at 39+3, lost my plug the next day, water leaked the day after that. What people fail to tell you is that your contractions will be constant with no break in between, luckily mine only lasted 15 hours before my daughter made her appearance. I am now 40+5 with my second, and am scheduled for an induction tomorrow. No membrane sweep for this girl!!!!!!
- —Guest samantha
turn off the pit
- If a medical induction is the best route for you and your baby ask to turn off the pitocin once a good labor pattern has started. In the cases where a little jump start is all that is needed, your own hormones can take over. I've attended a couple of pitocin inductions where turning off the pit helped mom go on to have an unmedicated birth.
- —Guest doulachristy
I had no choice.
- I had a mild case of preeclampsia. It was painful being induced, but I didn't have any problems delivering my baby. My OB that night made sure I didn't need a c-section and took very good care of me. So I'm not going to dis induction. Every woman's body reacts differently.
- —Guest Amira
sex is the best
- Sex has worked the best for all three of my babies however the main point isn't just having sex its reaching the big o and best if you can reach it more then once! The sperm from the male will help soften your cervix but as for starting contractions you must reach that big O plus keep in mind it will be awhile before you will be able to be intimate with your partner so be sure to take full advantage of this time
- —Guest stephanie
- When I was 38+5 I was having what I thought were contractions and went into the hospital. Obviously I was examined and I hadn't dilated at all, but the midwife gave me a good stretch. I was sent home and the following day I was crampy and the day after I was having real contractions and went into hospital at 3cm. I reckon the examination done the trick!
- —Guest Finns mom
- Both kids were induced with a foley catheter to dilate me. With the first, my body wasn't ready and after Pitocin and the whole 9 yards, I had to have a c-section at 41 weeks 5 days. With my second, I was desperate to go into labor on my own and tried almost everything. I was even still nursing my son and pumping a few minutes a few times a day on the days he didn't nurse. I had Braxton-Hicks like crazy during my whole pregnancy but ended up being induced with a foley again at 42 weeks, 4 days. I had had mild labor contractions the night before, so my body was definitely more ready even though I still hadn't dilated at all. My labor "took" and my daughter was born 12 hours after the foley was first inserted.
- —Guest Debbie
Nothing worked for me except patience!
- I tried everything including caster oil (disgusting stuff!) and nothing worked except a large doe of patience...she eventually was born at 40+27. Number two, entered the world in a similiarly relaxed fashion at 40+25! Beautiful, and healthy. Kids hey!!
- —Guest Gee
- Well I have tried it all nothing sex stimulation castor oil nothing works.
- —Guest shaunda
- There is no reason to induce labor,... babies know when to come out, they don't need encouragement other that the mother walking and letting gravity do what it knows what to do - or to place mother in a warm tub of water and "let" nature take it's course.... I have never had to call a vet for any of my dogs, cats, birds, fish or the hundreds of frogs that are in my back yard!!! Oh wait I'm so silly they can't afford medical Insurance or doctors visits,..... never-mind I was just ranting..... silly me!!!
- —Guest Mama n Yaya
Castor oil did it for me!!
- I have 3 boys and with each I tried castor oil. I got super desperate and delivered all 3 within 24 hrs of taking it! I took with 1st at 37 weeks and other 2 at 38 weeks. Warning is it gives you diarrhea!! My labor was fairly easy at 8 hrs for each with none or one to two stitches! I'm now 33 weeks with a girl and need a c-section due to health problems and have to wait to my 39th week! I hope I can make it!!!
- —Guest Mom of 4
Bring the pump!
- When I was nearing almost 2 weeks overdue..I tried everything! SEX. EXERCISE. LEMON (IDK SOMEONE SAID IT HELPS LOL) MEMBRANE STRIPPING. BUMPY ROADS. PLEADING WITH BABY.(HA!) I finally agreed to doctor breaking my water (she wanted pitocin but I had been dilated to 4 cm for 2 1/2 weeks) so I knew or would not take much. After couple hours of broken water and nothing happening I tried my best pump for twenty minutes. Had some contractions during and hard labor started about thirty minutes later with a sweet baby born about 2 hours after pumping! ;)
- —Guest Mama F
Bring the pump!
- When I was nearing almost 2 weeks overdue..I tried everything! SEX. EXERCISE. LEMON (IDK SOMEONE SAID IT HELPS LOL) MEMBRANE STRIPPIN G. BUMPY ROADS. PLEADING WITH BABY.(HA!) I finally agreed to doctor breaking my water (she wanted pitocin but I had been dilated to 4 cm for 2 1/2 weeks) so I knew or would not take much. After couple hours odf broken water and nothing happening I tried my best pump for twenty minutes. Hd some contractions during and hard labor started about thirty minutes later with a sweet baby born about 2 hours after pumping! ;)
- —Guest Mama F
1-15 of 38Next