From the article: How to Induce Labor with Castor Oil
Castor oil is often talked about as a natural method of inducing labor. Have you tried it? What was your experience? How did you prepare it? How far along were you? When did you have your baby? Did you have any negative side effects? Would you do it again? Share Your Experience
I did it 3 times
- I drank the whole bottle and then chased with a drink I was in labour in a few hours :) For me a few tbs don't work
- —Guest Jenny
- I've tired it all week didn't work.watt can i do? Please help need answers
- —Guest shakera mother of three
38 +2 days
- With my son I went to 41 1/2 weeks until I finally had to be induced unfortunately sex and walking doesn't do much for me. 4 months after I had my boy I am now 38 +2 days pregnant with my girl. I've been using EPO but I find it way to messy lol, tried a swig or two last night of CO and didn't get sick or any BM I had some BH and more fetal movement ( she hasn't been moving as much) , so now I will try again but do the 2 tblsp worth of it. Hopefully it works!
- —Guest Baby mama
- I took it on three separate occasions... once at 38 weeks, once at 40w1d, and two doses at 40w4d... The first two times I had contractions but they went away without the ugly side effects althought I felt nauseous. I went to get checked with the second time and although I had dilated 1cm and was having mild cramps they sent me home thinking i was in early labor. The contractions subsided after a few hours. The third time I got diarrhea and cramping for hours with contractions on too and afterwards but I made myself goto sleep and when I woke up they had went away. I was very worried about dehydration bc even thou I drank alot of water Inseemed to pee and poop it out immediately. I am 40w5d today and I am disapointed and do not recommend it. I have accepted she will come when she is ready - which is for the best.
- —Guest Sheena
castor oil idk
- I haven't tried castor oil but i know some friends did.. it worked on all them
- —Guest ms. brittany
36 weeks and 3 days
- I'm one cm dilated and 20%effacced so I wanted to try castor oil so I took a tablespoon last night and woke up with contractions and still haven them so I took another spoon full so hopefully ill have my lil girl later on today
- —Guest lannette
- i took co at 12pm and now its 648 pm and all i have done is sit on the toilet.
- —Guest Tracy1142
not giving up
- I tried castor oil for the first time and took 2 TBS full with OJ. I had the worst experience. Was up all night on the toilet and was in pain due to hemrroids. I thought I was gonna die. Im 39 weeks btw. The next day trying it again this time 2 OZ in a milkshake. So far one bathroom trip and lots of nausea and slslight cramps. If it doesnt work tonight im never doing it again. Also staying hydrated !
- —Guest heidi delilah
- I took castor oil around 1130am, push mowed my lawn, then came in to shower and relax. It's hot out. I'm staying hydrated because I am getting diarrhea, but I'm also cramping, which is a sign of labor. I'm already 3cm and 80% ephased and the baby's head is very low. My OB told me to try it last night, so I am... Lets hope that soon we will have a baby!
- —Guest Andrea
I tried twice !!
- Didn't work for me the first time I tried I was 37 weeks and I drunk 2oz... The second time I was 38 weeks and drunk 4oz and chased it with apple juice . YUCKY !!
- —Guest Kit
I did it
- I was 39weeks 5days with my first and had enough, feet swelling like balloons, back aches, the lot, I was an emotional wreck! Thought I would give the castor oil a go. So at 9.30pm I had 1tablespoon in a small glass of orange juice and went to bed. I woke with my husband at 4am to get him off to work and go to the toilet.. It was our anniversary and I jokingly said 'have ya prezzie here just have to push it out' lol he left and I went back to bed literally 2mins later I coughed or sneezed and felt a warm gush down there! By the time I got from my bedroom to the bathroom I was standing in a puddle of water! Went to hospital and was having mild contractions and had our beautiful daughter at 9.50pm!! I never had any diarrhea.. But everyone is different So I say give it a go :) good luck
- —Guest NSmithy :)
- With my 4th birth a midwife advised me to take a desert spoon of caster oil because I had gone to the hospital where I was told it was a false alarm. I went home , took the caster oil and was back in hospital the next day . It was a really easy birth and the midwife said it was because of the oil . The baby was due but my other births had been long and hard .
- —Guest Margaret Osgood
castor oil at 41 5days
- Im 41weeks and 5 today with my second child i was told i was going to be late for this pregnancy sinsce i was late for my first. Now im schedule to get induce at 42weeks and 3days i been trough it and its the worst so i try castor oil 4oz and mix it with OJ....i had the runs like 3times that was it its been 6hrs ever since i just to a nice hot ginger tea!.... Now im patiently waiting but no signs yet
- —Guest latisha
Worst Idea I've Ever Had (39 weeks)
- Took 2 tablespoons on Saturday and nothing happened but slight cramping (no pooping or anything) and eventually it stopped... Took another dose on Sunday at about 8 and had a bathroom visit at about 11. Went to bed shortly after and kept waking up with contractions! Woke SO up at 230 to take me to the hospital as my contractions were 3 mins apart and I was getting them all in my back! Got there at about 330, I was dehydrated! They had me drink lots of water (I was STILL having terrible back contractions) and they checked me and I was not progressing. This was at 4. They checked me again at 6 and I was still not progressing and they told me they couldn't stop the contractions since I am full term and sent me home where I had contractions consistently from 6-10 am. I thought it was the end! I do not recommend this at all! Now I am scared to death of labor because the back labor was so bad!
- —Guest Ariel
- With my 1st I took 2 tablespoons around 8 pm by 12am I was being admitted my baby girl was here by 5:02 the next day. My 2nd took evening primrose oil tablets for a week oral & vaginally one night added 2 tablespoon of Castor oil @ 10 by 3am contractions started got to hospital at 830 was 8cm. Now 38 wks with my last and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm miserable. Vomiting, frequent stool, heart palpitations, headache and doctor wont induce me. So I decided on Castor oil again.
- —Guest baby#3myangels
1-15 of 143Next