From the article: How Your Partner Can Catch Your Baby
Lots of families are talking about ways to include the dad, partner, friends and other family members. Before it was all about wiping brows and holding hands. Now there is even a way they can help catch the baby. Have you heard of this? Have you talked about it with your partner? Your practitioner? What are your plans? Share Your Thoughts
Hubby wouldn't even cut the cord...
- My husband doesn't like the messier aspects of birth so catching the baby is out of the question, Though I was able to catch my first (midwife had me reach down and just pull her up). I would be totally fine with it if he ever changed his mind though I would probably not let anyone else.
- —Guest Tia
- I wish I had convinced my husband to catch our baby. I have since had the opportunity to witness many daddy catches and feel it is such a natural and beautiful part of childbirth. If I had it to do over again, I certainly would have my husband catch!
Wonderful to participate
- Catching the babies was awesome! I was in the birth tub with my wife - had my bathing suit & a t-shirt on - read to catching the little ones. It's something I'll always remember and I'm so glad I was involved. My wife did all the work, but it was really nice getting to touch the baby in its first moments - really something that all Dads should have the OPPORTUNITY to do (of course, they can decline!).
- —Guest Rob T
Glad I got to catch!!!
- I was pretty nervous and scared about catching my baby, but glad I did. It was really neat to be a part of the whole birth experience and I feel like it brought my wife and I closer together and helped to make me feel more attached to my baby. Definitely the way to go if you get the chance!
- —Guest Kevin
Best thing ever!
- I'm the father of three and I caught all of my children. It was very important to me to be the first one to hold my children instead of a stranger. There were three different doctors and three different responses but it was definitely worth the fight with the doctors to make it happen. I highly encourage all fathers to be as involved with the birth as possible because it's a memory that lasts a lifetime.
- —Guest Vance
- I didn't really have a strong preference either way. In fact at first I thought it was gross. But he really wanted to do it. So why not? It wound up being pretty special and he really thinks it was cool.
- —Guest Karra
My BF wasn't sure but did it for me.
- My BF wasn't so sure it was a good idea, but I talked him into it. He was pretty thrilled with it and bragged to everyone he knows. Now all his friends call him doc. I think it's hilarious.
- —Guest Macy