Many women flock to Bradley Natural Childbirth Classes
because they do not want to use medication for their birth. The Bradley Method or the American Academy of Husband Coached Childbirth (AAHCC) teaches a 12 week childbirth class focusing on how to have a natural childbirth. What did you learn in your Bradley class? What worked? What didn't? Would you go back?
Love this program!
- I took my Bradley class ten years ago and felt so empowered. It was great for my husband as well and the whole experience brought us closer. I have given birth to 4 children naturally and wouldn't change a thing. I felt most comfortable in a hospital (just in case) but will say that you should definitely investigate your hospital's standard procedures before delivery. The nurses at our last birth had never seen a natural birth-period. They were in utter amazement that it could be done without medication.
- —Guest Monica
Loved our class
- Our Bradley class was great for both my husband and me, cleared up any lingering doubts about making the choice to have a homebirth. We both learned a lot and felt very empowered. The nutrition information that our teacher gave was wonderful as well.
- —Guest texasmama2
I could not attend classes but...
- I couldn't attend classes, but had the book to prepare with. I enjoyed my labor, because I understood the process and my body. My husband and I were well prepared!
- —Guest karen
An affirmative, empowering class
- I highly recommend the Bradley method. The classes gave me confidence in my ability to birth naturally, and it gave my husband the confidence HE needed to coach me through it. I loved that my husband learned practical, hands-on techniques for helping me relax. I also appreciated learning so much about the process of childbirth. I left each class session feeling more empowered, armed with knowledge about how my body was "built to birth." I also credit Bradley's focus on nutrition, exercise and relaxation for helping me prepare me both physically and mentally for the big day. I always joke that I was in the best shape of my life when I gave birth!
- —Guest Jennifer
- I loved going into my son's birth knowing what was happening to me and what were the pros and cons of the different potential interventions. It's not about being some kind of "superwoman" or proving anything by going without meds, it's about feeling like you have a say in what happens to you. The moms in my class had a wide range of births, with all sorts of different things happening, but everyone came out feeling comfortable with the interventions that happened because they made an informed choice.
- —Guest Natalie
- All mothers-to-be could benefit greatly from the Bradley method. Our culture is quite fear based, and Bradley teaches you to relax and have faith in your body. As my body knows how to grow the baby, my body knows how to birth the baby. The class also led me to a kind doula, who was fabulous. My water birth was amazing; I'm not sure it would have worked out so well had I not found the Bradley method. I hope my second birth is as easy! The knowledge you gain from these classes is hands down unsurpassed. Knowledge is power and so very empowering!
- —Guest Krista Wanko
Husband learned so much!
- We took Bradley before the birth of our first child. I always knew I wanted a natural childbirth, having been there for the home birth of four three of my siblings. I learned so much in the class, but it was most helpful for my husband! He went into the labor and birth experience so relaxed, because of the knowledge gained at our class. After a successful natural birth at a hospital, we both had the confidence to have a home birth. I believe that if it weren't for our Bradley class, my husband wouldn't have been comfortable with that decision. We applied the things we learned at our Bradley class and had a wonderful home birth! The Bradley class is definitely a time commitment, with 12 weeks of classes lasting a couple of hours each, but it was time well spent. The successful natural births of our two children made it so worth it!
- —Guest Sarah
If I could grant just one wish...
- to all pregnant women, it would be the resources to take these classes. So empowering when you realize what your body is capable of.
The Bradley Method is a natural approach to pregnancy and childbirth that empowers mothers to work with a coach to achieve a drug free birth, while also preparing you for challenges that arise during pregnancy and birth. Aside from the goal of a drug free birth, the class is an extremely thorough course that covers everything from the changes your body goes through, complete knowledge of your body's ability to give birth, informed consent with your healthcare providers, and caring for your newborn. My husband and I learned more from this class and The Husband Coached Childbirth than any other resource or book I scoured through. It was a great bonding experience with my husband too!
I had the best birth possible thanks to this class and the amazing teacher I had (and coach/husband). I plan on utilizing Bradley for this pregnancy. Thanks Dr. B!
- —Guest Maggie
Knowledge is comfort and power
- A friend of mine took Bradley and recommended it to me after I told her I wanted to have a natural birth. This class really prepared my body and mind to the process of pregnancy and birth. We went over all the pros and cons of medical interventions. I felt once I started labor I knew what was happening with my body and felt much more at ease. My husband enjoyed it and he said learned a lot of beneficial information.
- —Guest Erin
A MUST TO TAKE!
- This is a great class to learn all the facts about pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding. It teaches and explains you how normal and natural childbirth is. It also gives you techniques for relaxation. The class is also geared to include your partner as your coach to help during pregnancy and childbirth.
My instructor was very knowledgeable and was always providing us studies about breastfeeding and natural childbirth, among other interesting topics.
In conclusion, this is a class that covers a lot and should be taken by every pregnant woman, no matter if you are planning to have a natural or medicated childbirth.
- —Guest Ivonne Acevedo
The Bradley Method is Best!
- I felt completely prepared for and not scared of birth after the classes. It was empowering! I recommend them to every pregnant woman I know; sadly most don't take them.
- —Guest Vinylgirl
- I went from not knowing & being afraid of childbirth to embracing labor and the birth of my baby. The Bradley method gave my husband & I the knowledge needed to make educated decisions that were best for our baby.
- —Guest Ana
Education is the best thing
- Many women say they birthed their children without taking a class... but when you ask them how it went, you hear answers like, "I ended up having a c-section," "I loved my epidural, I didn't feel a thing." or "My epidural only worked on half my body..." I think the Bradley Method is the best thing for expecting moms ever in today's medical culture. It made me feel comfortable with what was going to happen to my body, it educated me on how medical staff would react due to hospital policy & how to make educated decisions, it helped me have a successful NATURAL birth. And I would do it again! The time investment is worth a successful birth!
- —Guest Carrie
The Bradley Method
- I had had my first 2 children with epidural and they went just fine, but when I was having my 3 I decided I wanted to go more natural. I loved the 12 classes and the fact the instructors knew so much and offered many situations to practice different positions so you knew what you were comfortable doing. I loved that they gave you a diet to follow it made it easy to know what I should be eating and I and knew that what I was eating was healthy for me and my baby. I enjoyed the exercises that were given to me to do at home, at first I was not sure I would benefit from them but after doing them I looked forward to doing them because they made me feel better and relieved tension in my back. My husband was unable to make it with me to the classes but I brought my mother who would be with me, she and I learned that we could be an advocate for me in the hospital and we learned that you do have control over your own birth experience and that you can say no to unnecessary interventions.
- —Guest Julie
Course should be required
- I had a wonderful experience and learned a great deal of information. I think the course should be required for all expectant mothers regardless of their plans for an unmedicate or medicated birth. The wealth of knowledge provided is powerful. You will learn things that your doctor wont have the time to teach you. I loved the course and I am proud of my unmedicated childbirth experience.
- —Guest Lindsay Eades