Planning to get pregnant is one of the best gifts you can give to yourself and your baby. By actively pursuing good health, proper nutrition and removing potential harm from your life before conceiving you can increase your chances of a health pregnancy and a healthy baby. Here are some suggestions.
- Have a preconception check up. This includes finding a practitioner before you get pregnant.
- Start taking a prenatal vitamin, with folic acid.
- Begin eliminating hazards from your life (chemicals, x-rays, etc.).
- Discontinue smoking, caffeine and alcohol.
- Discuss birth control use until you're ready to conceive.
- Learn about the conception process.
- Have a health insurance "check up." Does your insurance need revamping before baby?
- Have your partner join you in a road to good health, including diet and exercise.
- Become aware of families you know and their lives.