Over the counter medications can be helpful for some women. None of these are approved for use with morning sickness, but with guidance from your doctor or midwife, they may be helpful:
- Vitamin B6
- Reflux medications (Pepcid, Zantac)
- Unisom Nighttime Sleep Aid (not the SleepGels) combined with vitamin B6
- Some herbal substances with the help of your practitioner
There are also prescription drugs that can be useful in helping control nausea and vomiting. These can include:
- Zofran (expensive, not always covered by insurance)
- Phenergan (pill and suppository form)
There are also IV medications and other medications used to treat hyperemesis gravidarum.
Medications are not used for the entire pregnancy unless symptoms persist that long. You and your practitioner can talk about what the best plan is for your pregnancy.