There are two types of medication for morning sickness: over the counter medication and prescription medication. The one medication for you is one that you and your practitioner decide on.
Over the Counter Medication for Morning Sickness
- Vitamin B6
- Reflux medications (Pepcid, Zantac)
- Unisom Nighttime Sleep Aid (not the SleepGels) combined with vitamin B6
- Some herbal substances with the help of your practitioner
Prescription Medication for Morning Sickness
- Zofran (expensive, not always covered by insurance)
- Phenergan (pill and suppository form)
There are also IV medications and other medications used to treat hyperemesis gravidarum.
Medications are not used for the entire pregnancy unless symptoms persist that long. You and your practitioner can talk about what the best plan is for your pregnancy.
Koren G, Maltepe C: Pre-emptive therapy for severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy and hyperemesis gravidarum. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Aug;24(5):530-3.
Magee LA, Mazzotta P, Koren G: Evidence-based view of safety and effectiveness of pharmacologic therapy for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (NVP). Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002 May;185(5 Suppl Understanding):S256-61.