- May shiver from the birth, warm blankets help.
- Uterus continues to contract. Nursing will help the process of involution.
- May be excited, tired, happy and all at once.
- Usually in a quiet alert state right after birth.
- Best if placed directly skin to skin on mom for warming.
- Will actively seek the breast if unhindered by clothing, medication and age (not premature).
Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk. PEDIATRICS Vol. 115 No. 2 February 2005, pp. 496-506 (doi:10.1542/peds.2004-2491)
The Labor Progress Handbook. Simkin, P and Ancheta, R. Wiley-Blackwell; 2 edition.