Why Choose Vaginal Birth?
- Surgery is frightening, lonely and painful. Medications and anesthetics can be dangerous to both mother and baby.
- For almost all women, emergencies excluded, vaginal birth is much safer for both mother and baby.
- No mother wants to be separated from her baby. No baby wants to be taken from his/her mother.
- The experience of actively delivering a baby is exciting and empowering.
- Vaginal birth is the essence of femininity to most women. It biologically and physically links all women. It is also an expression of a woman's sexuality.
- No one likes feeling victimized and out of control.
- Being cut open, for anything, may leave one feeling violated and disturbed.
- When a mother is able to immediately step in and nurture her infant and care for herself, her self-esteem is high. This is often not so after surgical birth, due to the limitations after major abdominal surgery. Strength and energy return quickly after vaginal birth.
- Nursing gets a good solid start directly after vaginal birth. Even new mothers often feel more confident in nursing if they have had a vaginal delivery. Surgery often interrupts bonding and nursing with the newborn.
- Childbirth is a JOY to be cherished probably only a few times in a woman's life.
- Pregnancy affords women nine long months of expectation. Surgery is an emotional letdown to a woman who is looking forward to a normal birth.
- Women often feel like their bodies have let them down. Emergencies happen; we must all face the uncertainty of life at some point, but it does not diminish the flood of feelings even knowing this.
- There is always risk in surgery, both for mother and baby.
- Women feel a connection to other women after having a vaginal birth experience. The feeling is heightened after a VBAC.
- Mothers feel connected to their husbands or partners as they work together to birth their child. This is often interrupted in a surgical birth.
- Women have a right to birth their children, without the need of any reasons!
Copyright © 1998 - 2000 by ICAN. All rights reserved.