Weiss Family Birth Plan
Baptist Hospital East
- Presence of family: Dad & doula present at all times. Children and their adult friends present at parents' discretion.
- Hydration/fluids: Drinking water and juice until no longer tolerated, then ice chips.
- Monitoring fetal heart: Intermittent, using ACOG standards.
- Pain relief: Please do not offer us medications, we will ask if they are needed.
- Position: Squatting, or if that doesn't work, hands and knees. If neither of those two work, try whatever.
- Expulsion techniques: Spontaneous bearing down with contractions. Please no screaming.
- Bed for birth: Prefer foot pedals to stirrups
- Draping: Undraped, mother touches baby during birth, if so desired.
- Care of perineum: Try for intact perineum with massage, support, and hot compresses.
- Handling of baby: Mother gets to hold baby immediately. Suctioning done while baby is in mother's arms.
- Delivery of placenta: Spontaneous or encouraged with breast feeding. No routine pitocin.
- Cord cutting: Clamp and cut after it stops pulsating. Father or children cuts cord.
- Discharge of mother and baby: As soon as possible.
- Warmth: Baby skin-to-skin with mother, with blanket covering both.
- First feedings: Breast feeding on demand, no supplements or pacifiers.
- Contact with baby: 24-hour rooming in. No mandatory nursery stays.
- Partner's presence: Father and doula present.
- Anesthesia: Prefer spinal with no pre op sedation.
- Participation: Screen lowered at time of delivery or a mirror.
- Contact with baby: Held by father immediately after birth, where mother can touch and see. Breast feeding as soon as possible.