Cutting the cord can be a joyous moment in a person's life. Being able to symbolically break the link from the internal womb world to extrauterine life.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Be sure the cord has stopped pulsing for most births.
- Ensure that there are two clamps on the cord.
- Hold the section of cord to be cut with a piece of gauze under it.
- Using sterile scissors cut between the two clamps.
- Dab excess blood.
- Place scissors away.
- The gauze keeps excess blood from splattering.
- Remind everyone that mom and baby can't feel the cord being cut.
- The cord is thicker and harder to cut, more like meat gristle. Don't be surprised.
What You Need
- A newborn baby
- Sterile scissors