1. Parenting

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

Shakira's Big Baby Isn't So Big Afterall

By January 23, 2013

Shakira's baby boy is here!

It was announced on the singer's website in multiple languages: "We are happy to announce the birth of Milan Piqué Mebarak, son of Shakira Mebarak and Gerard Piqué, born January 22nd at 9:36pm, in Barcelona, Spain."

Earlier in the day a source had said that the baby was going to be born that day in a seeming induction of labor due to the "lateness of the pregnancy" and the "enormous" size of the baby. Milan, which means "dear, loving and gracious in Slavic; in Ancient Roman, eager and laborious; and in Sanskrit, unification," weighed in at 6 pounds 6 ounces. In my book, that's not a large baby by any estimation, in fact, it's smaller than the average size baby. Perhaps this was was sparked by the photo the couple released in the weeks before birth, with her gorgeous belly hanging out, which caused others to call her "huge."

So my take away points for you are to remember:

1. It's nearly impossible to get an accurate read on how big the baby really is during pregnancy, even with ultrasound.
  2. Even if they think baby is large, it is not a reason to induce labor.

Have you ever been told you were having a big baby?  Was your baby as big as they thought? (Some babies are smaller, some are bigger according to these moms.)

It's a boy!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | PINTEREST | TWITTER

FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | CONNECT

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Photo © PM Images/Getty Images

Comments
January 23, 2013 at 9:16 am
(1) Kiani says:

My baby turned breech at 39 weeks, they refused to try an EV because they said baby was 10+ pounds. I got a second opinion with a OB who catches breech babies but his u/s tech said baby was high 10 to low 11 pounds. So he said he would not risk a vag breech, then said he wouldn’t even catch a head down vag delivery because baby was too big. My son turned the day of my scheduled c-section (2weeks after discovering a breech) and I got to deliver him vag with my midwife. He was a beautiful and prefect 9 lbs 12 oz. No problems.

January 23, 2013 at 9:59 am
(2) Robyn says:

8lb 7oz, 8lb 4oz, then 10lb 12oz. My third child was huge. I had been induced with the first two (not because of size) and always got comments about the size, but that didn’t seem that big to me. When my third came along, my midwife suggested natural induction techniques because from palpating, she could tell there was “plenty of baby.” But everything when perfectly well even though he was +13 past the estimated due date.

January 23, 2013 at 10:34 am
(3) Ashley says:

Didn’t happen to me, but happened to my cousin. At 36 weeks, they did a “size check” u/s on her, told her that her baby was already over 8 lbs and would be pushing 10 lbs by the time of birth. Her first baby was 10 lbs 13 oz. and was born c/s so they really didn’t have reason to question this. Scheduled the repeat c/s at 39 weeks. Wrongo – her daughter was 7 lb. 11 oz. I never believe the weight measurements on those u/s. They told me that my youngest baby girl was 5 lb 11 oz at 36 weeks. She was born at 38 weeks (2VBAC) and was only 6 lbs 1 oz. I’m not doing any other u/s except the 20 week one with my next baby unless they give me a darn good reason to monitor baby (something other than, “Just to be on the safe side we want to triple check a blurp. . .”

January 23, 2013 at 10:37 am
(4) ghinghabee says:

I was told 10 or 11 pound baby. My midwife dropped me scheduled a c-section. I refused. I wanted my baby to come when ready. I went into labor on the last day of the 44th week. I labored at home planning on rolling in with the baby coming out. I was a first time V back. My Dr./midwifes back up would not answer any pages. So I was fully dilated to 10 ready to push and they gave me c-section. He weighed 9.1 long, lean, and healthy!

January 23, 2013 at 10:42 am
(5) Morgan says:

This makes me want to bang my head against a wall. You would think that with all the information out there, people would know better than to believe weight estimates.

Her baby was a WHOPPING 6lbs, 6oz…OMG how HUGE!!! I sincerely hope Milan doesn’t suffer any consequences of being forced out early due to her OB’s stupidity.

January 23, 2013 at 10:44 am
(6) Maber says:

Four kids, all were “going to be huge” “already nine lbs now with another month to go” and “definitely ten lbs or more” during my pregnancies. ALL were long, slim, 7 1/2 lb babies. Which was a shock to me and my family since I came from a family of 9 1/2 – 10 1/2 lb babies we thought something was wrong when my first didn’t come out with rolls of baby fat!

January 23, 2013 at 10:46 am
(7) AnnieD says:

They told me my oldest would be about 6.5 lbs and he was 9lbs 3oz. My doctor learned that based on my body I didn’t show very big. She was pretty accurate with the next 2 being close to and over 10 lbs but she never induced strictly because of that.

January 23, 2013 at 11:18 am
(8) Alex says:

I read that she scheduled the labor so that the father could be present. I still think it would make more sense for him to cancel his other obligations, but my understanding was that they weren’t claiming it was for medical reasons.

January 23, 2013 at 11:19 am
(9) KaritaG says:

I was showing by 10 weeks, “huge” by 24 weeks (my mom actually said to me “good grief you are as big now as I was at 40 weeks with you!”) and seriously giant by 40 weeks. I gained 40 pounds (exactly a pound a week) but ate healthfully and exercised several times a week up to the very end. I think I “looked” bigger than I really was because I carried all out front and in my tummy, I didn’t really grow anywhere else. My baby was born at 39 weeks 6 days and weighed 7 lbs 2 oz, perfectly normal size :) Luckily I had a homebirth midwife and she said throughout the pregnancy based on palpations alone that she thought he was a very average size, around 7 lbs, and repeatedly reminded me not to get freaked out by what others were saying. I’m so glad I didn’t have an OB.

January 23, 2013 at 11:27 am
(10) megan says:

I was showing by 12 weeks. at around 32 weeks I was told my baby was about 6 pounds. the next ultrasound at 38 weeks, I didn’t get a weight I was just told she stopped growing. I was induced which ended in an emergency c section. my daughter was only 4 pounds and 13 ounces.

January 23, 2013 at 11:36 am
(11) KRipley says:

Yes, I was told my first child was going to be enormous, well over 10 pounds at 4 days overdue and they actually recommended a c-section because I would “never push that baby out.” I obliged and had the scheduled c-section the next day. She was 8lbs, 12oz. Big, but probably manageable… especially considering I delivered my second child in a smooth VBAC. His weight? 9lbs, 8oz.

January 23, 2013 at 12:09 pm
(12) DJ says:

With my first they estimated her to be about 7 lbs. per manual assessment – she was 10.5. With my second my MW estimated him to be about the same size as my first – he was 10.7. I am so glad I birthed in the days (early 80′s) where induction was almost unheard of and the section rate was under 12%.
With a well managed pg and labor the odds of a woman growing a baby larger than she can birth are exceptionally low.

January 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm
(13) Kristy says:

My doctor thought my 4th child was around 10 pounds. (My first was 9lbs11oz, my twins at 36 wks were 7lbs12oz & 6lbs12oz.) She knew I could handle a large baby vaginally, so didn’t do an ultrasound. He was 11 lbs 14 oz, 24 inches long, born vaginally without induction on his due date. I had a great doctor :) :) Even my twins were born vaginally!

January 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(14) Kicker says:

My 1st baby was supposed to be large, at 40 weeks she was 6 lbs 4 oz. 2nd baby was to be average weight he came at 38 weeks -8 lbs 12.5 oz…… I don’t think they really know what they are doing when they guesstimate a baby’s size.

January 28, 2013 at 2:10 pm
(15) Sally says:

The source could of been wrong and she went into labor. I wouldn’t judge someone based on a source. There is always pros and cons to in induction, if a women chooses to induce for what she believes to be reasonable health concerns she shouldn’t be judged. We women can be terribly rough on each other.

February 10, 2013 at 12:47 am
(16) shelby says:

At 39 weeks I had a size check u/s cuz my uterus was measuring 2 weeks big and they said my daughter was 7 lbs 15 oz. She was later induced at 40&1/2 weeks cuz she was getting big for my body to deliver and I wanted a natural birth. My daughter was 8lbs 6 oz at birth and I couldn’t deliver her naturally; she went into distress after 12 hours of labor. Yes I had a c-section and then a scheduled c-section with my second baby and I wouldn’t change a thing. Sometimes medical intervention is necessary and I would always err on the side of caution when my child is involved.