1. Parenting

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

New Year's Resolutions for Pregnant Women

By January 5, 2013

New Year's Baby

(These also work if you're trying to get pregnant too!)

Welcome to 2013! Okay, it's the day we all get to sit around and make New Year's resolutions, intentions or consider changing our ways in some manner. In some years, I've been tempted to say that pregnant women are immune from the discussions of diets and exercise that tend to swirl around the first day of the new year, but I'm changing my tune. There are plenty of things that pregnant women have to look forward to in the new year and plenty that they have control over. So here are some sample New Year's Intentions for pregnancy:

• Record your pregnancy. At the beginning of your pregnancy, nine months feels like it will last forever. You believe that you have all the time in the world to take pictures of your changing body and growing belly or record your thoughts and feelings in a diary. Seize the day and start now before your pregnancy gets away from you...

• Have a positive attitude about your pregnancy. Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down in the daily irritations of life, but add to that some of the physical discomforts of pregnancy like morning sickness or all of the late pregnancy discomforts and you can see why positive thinking might be hard, but focus! Using positive affirmations is a way to reframe these negative thoughts, deal with the issues and focus on the joys of pregnancy and your baby-to-be.

• Plan ahead for how you will take care of yourself as well as baby. It's so easy to think ahead about how you will be preparing to take care of the baby. After all you are either making plans to keep the baby at home, go to daycare, bring someone to you, etc. And these decisions are important. What are you doing for you? Have you thought ahead to something you can do to take care of yourself? What exercise are you looking forward to? How will you get a few minutes each day to do something for yourself? These take more thought and effort when you're parenting a newborn.

• Remember to take your vitamins and other medications. Taking a prenatal vitamin or any medication is not something I easily remember, no matter how important it is to my health. I'm trying desperately to get this one under control - I'd love your advice.

• Eat better. Try to be specific about this one. I, for example, am pledging to add more fruits and vegetables to my diet. A pregnant friend of mine is pledging to eat ate home more often, a.k.a. less fast food. What small change can you sustain that would make your diet a healthier one?

• Exercise more. Did you really think you could get a list like this without exercise? Seriously exercise, particularly in recent years, has been shown to be so important to your health and the health of your baby, these particularly includes your weight. So make this one you start for baby and continue for life. (I have a new newsletter to help you: Staying Fit in Pregnancy.)

What makes your list? Share it with us.

Follow me on: Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & Pinterest!

Comments
January 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm
(1) Katherine says:

I definitely like the idea to record your pregnancy. I didn’t do that with my first and now I find it hard to remember exactly what each month was like. (That makes it tricky to answer the question of how the first and second pregnancies compare!) I also would have loved to have something to share with my daughter when/if she is pregnant and wants to know what my experience was like.

January 1, 2009 at 11:19 pm
(2) Susan Adcox says:

As a grandparent, my advice is to enjoy being pregnant! It’s such a wondrous thing, to have new life growing inside your body. Write about that, as well as recording the physical changes that you are going through.

January 2, 2009 at 7:30 am
(3) Laureen says:

I think exercise is important, but was the last thing I wanted to do when I was pregnant.

But what I learned by the time I had my third is that exercise doesn’t have to be a work out but can be incorporated into daily life. With my first pregnancy I was so tired all through it. And I was very sedentary. It was kind of a chicken and egg thing; I don’t know which caused which. (Probably the fact that I was in FLA in the summer during the later part of it didn’t help much either!)

With my second pregnancy I had a toddler so being sedentary was not an option, and I was less tired. By the time I had my third, I had started incorporating some extra walking and some easy stretching into my routine on top of taking care of the two little ones, and overall my energy level was the best of the three pregnancies, even though I was older.

I hope some of your readers who are in their first pregnancy will take your advice about exercise and realize its benefits more quickly than I did.

January 2, 2009 at 10:28 am
(4) Ann Logsdon says:

Pregnancy is a wonderful time in your life. If I had it to do over again, I would make time to do special things that will create memories you’ll cherish for many years. Pamper yourself, take photos, surround yourself with positive people, and watch the miracle unfold.

January 3, 2009 at 2:07 pm
(5) Soni says:

Exercise is a great tip! If you do a little throughout your pregnancy it goes a long way at the end!

January 3, 2009 at 3:15 pm
(6) Catherine says:

I really wish I had more pictures of myself pregnant. It’s the double whammy of mom always being the one behind the camera, and also not feeling particularly photogenic!

January 6, 2009 at 5:32 am
(7) Denise says:

Great tips, Robin!

January 5, 2010 at 1:27 am
(8) Carey says:

when I had my first two kids, I lived on the third floor. Having my third and coming home to the comfy one story house we had was nice, but my recovery was difficult. I know without a doubt that having to traipse up three flights of stairs after my previous c-sections put me on a faster road to recovery, so next time, I’m going to make goals that work more easy and appropriate exercise into the taking care of a newborn stage.

January 2, 2012 at 8:09 am
(9) ernie says:

Exercise is beneficial to mum and child to maintain a good flow of blood and oxygen. Swimming is probably the best form of exercises as the water provides support and lessens impact.