1. Parenting

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

New Year's Cheer without the Alcohol

By December 27, 2012

Let's face it the, New Year's Eve means tons of parties and plenty of opportunities for alcoholic beverages. If you're used to celebrating the holidays with a drink or two, whether it's the celebratory New Year's champagne or the family version of egg nog, this year might be different.

The Newly Non-Drinking Girl's Guide to Pregnancy
has some ideas to keep you happy and sober.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | PINTEREST | TWITTER

FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | CONNECT

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Related:

Photo Sourcebooks, Inc.

Comments
December 3, 2007 at 6:49 pm
(1) Erika says:

I didnt miss it for my first pregnancy, but i went from being pregnant to nursing for 4 months, to pregnant again. I wouldnt mind a glass of wine right about now.

December 9, 2008 at 11:38 am
(2) Nicole says:

I didn’t drink much to begin with (holidays, nice dinners out, special occasions), so it hasn’t been a big transition for me gong from little alcohol to no alcohol.

It’s also been easier for me since Hubby can’t have alcohol because of his medication, so I’m not tempted when I see him drinking.

Caffeine has been a much more difficult transition!

December 9, 2008 at 12:12 pm
(3) Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE says:

I agree that for many women caffeine is a much harder transition. Any tips?

December 9, 2008 at 12:41 pm
(4) Nicole says:

Well, for me, the caffeine was a secondary to the flavor of coffee and soda, so I slowly switched to decaf.

Although I’ve found that if I drink enough water, I don’t have the taste for caffeine because my thirst is satisfied much better than it would be with caffeinated drinks.

December 9, 2008 at 4:55 pm
(5) Natalie says:

Have you read about this recent study? According to the article, “The studies — which were the “largest and most rigorous” to date on low-level alcohol and caffeine consumption during pregnancy — challenge the notion that alcohol should be avoided entirely during pregnancy and that light caffeine consumption has no effect on outcomes…the two studies suggest that “limited alcohol consumption is not so bad, while regular caffeine intake is worse than we thought.”

I’ve always felt that alcohol consumption during pregnancy was an area where moderation is key… I generally have a 1/2 glass of wine every few weeks, pregnant or not, which is within my comfort level and, I believe, perfectly safe.

December 9, 2008 at 5:41 pm
(6) pregnancy says:

Alcohol consumption in pregnancy is something that I would never personally recommend. ACOG and other organizations all agree that, at this point, there is no safe amount. I also know that women disregard advice from their practitioners all the time and that there are countries where minimal alcohol consumption in pregnancy is more common. It’s a question of what do you personally believe and how much risk are you willing to take?

What becomes really difficult is the problems we have studying women who are pregnant.

December 12, 2008 at 10:37 am
(7) Kelly says:

I’ve continued nursing through my pregnancy so I haven’t had alcohol in well over two years. My MIL makes punch with jello, pineapple juice, ginger ale and sugar. It’s amazing, so that’s my holiday treat! However, I can’t give up caffeine. I get terrible withdrawl headaches, so it’s easier to have a little tea or some soda once a day. I read the article listed above and according to stats, my intake is usually less than 50mg per day. Some days I might have two servings of tea, so it’s higher, but not as high as the women in the study. I think it’s interesting that caffeine causes low birth weight. Thanks for sharing that.

December 31, 2010 at 9:27 pm
(8) Lisa olson says:

I agree, most people have no issue with giving up alcohol for the duration, but caffeine is much harder and is in so many drinks and foodstuffs these days.