With my first child my mother asked to attend the birth. I hadn't really thought about it prior to that question. After talking to my husband about it, more in terms of how he felt, we decided she could come. Wow, that was not the brightest thing I've done - namely in setting up zero rules.
So with baby number two she asked again. This time, while we said yes, we had some ground rules. It went much more smoothly that time. While she opted out of future births, it was worth looking at whether or not she should be there.
The biggest factor will be how supportive she is of what you're planning to do. Take the quick quiz to see where you fall in the spectrum of inviting your mom. (Or even his mom...)
- Should you invite your mother to your birth?
- Should Dad Be in the Delivery Room?
- Guests in the Delivery Room
- 5 Ways to Tell Your Mother-in-Law She's Not Invited to the Birth
- Delivery Room Don'ts
- 10 Ways to Comfort a Laboring Woman
- Positions for Labor
Photo © Marcin Okupniak | Dreamstime.com