1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

Baby Fever

By August 9, 2012

Dad and Newborn baby

Baby fever is real. I don't think that this is news to the men and women who have experienced it. It's the gut wrenching feeling that is so overwhelming that when you see a baby you want to scream, "My ovaries hurt!" Now there is proof for the people who have yet to have that ache in their gonads. The researchers were able to sort out and refute some common theories, like it's "time" to have a baby, a.k.a. the biological clock; it's what "women do;" and more. But they did find that being around babies, at least in a positive manner, the seeing, smelling and hearing babies being cute, made it more likely for people to want to have a baby. Interestingly enough, the opposite was also true - being around diapers, baby spit up and the negatives made people want to keep their reproduction in check. And lastly the rational thoughts (Who would have thought?) did play a part. So if you think, "I'm finishing college." or "We need a house first." You're more likely to wait.

As a mother of eight kids, I can certainly say that I have had baby fever. Have you ever experienced baby fever?

Related:

Source:

Emotional regulation of fertility decision making: What is the nature and structure of "baby fever"? Brase, GL; Brase, SL. Emotion, Aug 15, 2011. doi: 10.1037/a0024954

Photo April's Grapevine Photography

Comments
August 29, 2011 at 9:05 am
(1) Cecelia says:

Oh my goodness yes! Experiencing it right now and also after a miscarriage, before I was a mom. Once I had gotten attached to the idea of being pregnant, and then we lost that pregnancy, I had a very strong desire to be a mother! It was like I was thirsty and needed a drink of water!

August 29, 2011 at 10:20 am
(2) The Mom: Imformed says:

Feeling it now…

I have always wanted a few kids, but, life worked out weird. I have a 15y/o son and just got married in June to a man with no kids. He isn’t ready to try yet. I run a parenting FB page and blog and am MORE than ready to get pregnant. LOL

August 29, 2011 at 10:25 am
(3) Shannon says:

OMG YES!! I finally got pregnant with my second a 21 1/2 weeks ago, to sadly lose her this week. And even though I am so sad and need to mourn, my thoughts are also with another baby….My body aches to become a mama again, and hold a sweet baby in my arms. I miss my angel Hazel sooooooo much it hurts, by I can stay positive, I have hope!

August 29, 2011 at 10:44 am
(4) AutumnPixie74 says:

YES! My boyfriend and I both have it…BAD! We are currently TTC. My sister had a baby about two years ago, and we both kinda had baby fever back then. But then my cousin had a baby girl 6 months ago, and I think my boyfriend had baby fever even worse than me! We cannot wait to have our first. This would be our third month trying, we will find out if I am pregnant or not by next week…please send positive thoughts our way! And good luck to all out there who are also TTC! :)

September 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(5) Nosh says:

Yes, I do. I am having baby fever for over a year now. The problem is that I am the type of person that thinks a lot before taking any decision, this baby fever gives me a headache now. As a mother of two boys (14 & 12 years old) it has been a while since I had a baby, I am 37 years old, working as a university professor, and then I want to be pregnant again! Am I crazy? is it the middle age crisis? Is it the urge to have a daughter? I don’t know. Please help me, and tell me why am I feeling this way?

August 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm
(6) Julie says:

Yes I have! After we were first married I had it the worst! I wanted a baby so badly. Now we have 3 and we are not planning anymore. I can honestly say I don’t have baby fever anymore. Maybe I will in the future but not now.