1. Health

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

5 Things Pregnant Women Shouldn't Post on Facebook

By July 23, 2012

I have to say I've been enjoying all of the lists of things you shouldn't post on Facebook. The first one I ever saw was from CBS, just 5 Things You Shouldn't Post on Facebook. Then I got a good laugh out of The Stir's 5 Things Moms Shouldn't Post on Facebook. So I thought I'd take a stab at a fun look at 5 things pregnant women shouldn't post on Facebook:

Pregnant Woman on Computer

1. Your due date. Don't laugh, but once you post it, everyone else writes it in their calendar as an expiration date, meaning lots of due date stalking should your baby have the audacity to be late.

2. Your baby's name. Unless you want to have all 537 friends weigh in on what they think of your baby's name or your chosen spelling, just save it as a surprise.

3. Your weight gain. If you post your weight gain, you invite comment about how it's too much, too little, too soon, too late, etc. On a side note, you should also include in this category: your husband's weight and if you lost weight.

4. Your birth plan. Statements about when or if you want drugs for your birth are probably not a good idea, same goes for scheduled c-sections, planned inductions and random breaking of the bag of water. It just keeps people yammering on about what they wanted in your comments. This doesn't mean you can't ask for help or suggestions if you really want it, but phrase it in a "helpful comments only please" kind of way.

5. Pictures of your pregnancy test. Take that photo for yourself. Think of it as private. We all know it's a photo of your urine. Photos of your stretch marks might also go in this category.

What would you add?

Related:

Follow me on Twitter | Connect with me on Facebook

Photo Dreamstime

Comments
May 20, 2011 at 11:41 am
(1) Fun Mama - Deanna says:

I second the pregnancy test photo. Yes, I took one for myself (even saved the stick – eww). But I don’t really want to see other people’s pee. Another thing not to mention: if you change drs. I was not on Facebook when I changed mine, but I got a lot of second-guessing at work (since I had to tell my boss why I had extra appointments) and overheard comments about how I was putting my baby in danger. I can just imagine what I would have gotten from posting that on Facebook.

May 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm
(2) Mandy says:

Wow, I’m guilty of all of it! My due date is when we can expect the baby to be here, since I posted that certain people will receive a call when I go into labor and others will know after I have the baby, I’m hoping that it will deter people from calling me asking if I’ve had the baby yet. My baby’s name has special meaning and everyone loves it so far. My doctor is the only one to have a complaint about it, he’s telling me to not hyphenate the first name! I want it like that so it doesn’t seem too long! Eh my weight gain I posted because it surprised me that day. i gained 10 lbs in a month and my aunt was the only one to have an issue with it. Since it’s just all belly and baby and I are growing right on time there’s no issue. For some one who has a medical condition that makes gaining weight a chore, being able to actually gain weight has been an awesome feeling! I haven’t posted all of my birth plan, just the things I feel the friends need to know since they will be the ones coming to visit. It’s mainly thinking about them being respectful towards me and when they can come visit and me expecting them to wash their hands when they come into the room or using the handsanitizer! Them calling before they come to visit, things like that. I don’t have my full birth plan posted and refuse to do so. But I will post my full friends/family birth plan on what I’d like for them to do to help me not be so anxious after the birth and being entertaining guests. My pregnancy test you actually can’t see the pee so I thought I’d be safe with it being posted. My SIL posted a full on FR test on her page when she got pregnant! I don’t see anything wrong with that since it’s hidden!

May 26, 2011 at 11:50 am
(3) Kyndal May says:

I would add to refrain from posting that you think you are labor. I have known too many moms who posted thinking they were in labor only to have constant barrage of questions and concerns that only lead to stress and worry for the mom whose body and baby are only gearing up and who won’t actually deliver for another week. Your body and baby know exactly when and what to do and usually do that best without the rest of the world (cyber or real) involved.

May 27, 2011 at 6:17 am
(4) eve says:

Well, i never liked the idea of posting a pregnancy test on FB. I had friends that did that, though, i congratulated them but i told myself not to do that whenever i take in. I did take in, what i did was to wait for 12wks, so i picked out some “special” friends & sent private messages cos i’ve been off communication for sometime. My husband & i kept it as a surprise with our baby, we do the same with this one.

May 27, 2011 at 6:59 pm
(5) KB says:

One out of six couples expercience infertility. As someone who struggled with infertility for years, I never had the stomach for comments complaining about pregnancy related ailments. Please don’t misunderstand, I enjoyed following the pregnancies of friends as they posted their progress on facebook. However, it’s difficult to read comments complaining (not remarking) about fatigue, feeling fat, etc. when I would do anything to trade conditions. Once we were finally successful with IVF, I limited my remarks regarding my pregnancy to positive ones, remembering how blessed and lucky I was to feel nauseous, swollen, exhausted and uncomfortable.

August 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(6) brisa says:

oh man, I don’t do any if that! I am 36 weeks and so far only shared that we are expecting and 1 bump picture. I do have a special family only page where I share more. one pet peeve of mine is ultrasound pic as your profile pic. I’m sorry, I don’t want to see your uterus everytime you show up on my news feed…

July 5, 2012 at 10:38 pm
(7) Dawn says:

Pregnancy complaints. I didn’t use to mind them, and in fact, was guilty of posting a few of my own–pregnancy induced carpal tunnel complaints, ligament pain, back pain, “can’t wait for this baby to come”–but after losing a baby at 29 weeks, I find I get very angry when I read the complaints. Be happy you are still pregnant and everything is fine. Remember your blessings and enjoy this time you have with the little one inside you, you never know what can happen.

July 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm
(8) Zoe Alexander says:

Well, I have to say I didn’t broadcast any details about my pregnancy and I don’t feel any loss. I think it is lovely to give close friends an idea of when you are due then put a photo of your little one on Twitter, FB etc. so that everyone knows you are both well and that they can contact you etc. Avoids any nightmare situations if you experience difficulties etc.

July 24, 2012 at 9:45 am
(9) pregnancy says:

Did you just post a photo after the birth? Or did you post something before hand as well?

July 23, 2012 at 9:25 pm
(10) ballet13 says:

My husband and I are currently 8 weeks pregnant. We are not posting anything on FB regarding our pregnancy. The people we want to know will be told in person and asked to not mention our pregnancy in comments. Most of the people on FB are not “real” friends, just acquaintances so they don’t need to know my business.

July 24, 2012 at 9:44 am
(11) pregnancy says:

I’ve heard a lot of people say that about who they “socialize” with on Facebook.

November 2, 2013 at 5:19 pm
(12) Nic says:

Pregnancy tests can be “gross” but the real issue is that one in four (or at best one in five) of those posters may lose their baby- making very public an extremely painful and personal experience of going through a miscarriage. It’s a rule of thumb to wait to the second trimester for a reason.

And yes, after a miscarriage or for couples who are struggling to concieve it is very difficult to read about petty pregnancy complaints. Share the love and happiness, not the petty and glum!