1. Health

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

Free Birth Congratulations from the White House

By January 20, 2011

Here's a bit of fun for this week's Thrifty Thursday!  You can get a free congratulatory note from the President when your baby is born.  Regardless of your politics, it's a neat thing to put in your baby's box of saved items.  You have to wait until after your baby is born, you can't do it ahead of time.  Send your birth announcement to:

White House Greetings Office

Room 39

Washington, DC 20500

You can also fax the information to 202-395-1232.  What you will need to include with either request is the baby's name and date of birth, the names of the parents and the address where you would like the greeting to be sent to you.

More Thrifty Thursday from About.com Parenting:

Comments
August 22, 2009 at 8:18 pm
(1) Amanda Rock says:

We did this for our son who was born in May. No response yet, but we are excited for it to arrive. In fact my other two were disappointed to learn that I hadn’t requested this for their births — sadly I didn’t know about it at the time.

Thanks for posting, I’m sure many aren’t aware of it!

December 12, 2009 at 11:53 am
(2) Romy says:

I received this for the birth of my baby and it was such a huge surprise. My sister in law did this without telling anyone and we were hugely surprised. How lovely.

April 30, 2010 at 10:16 am
(3) Kathryn says:

This is a great idea! I still have a letter I received from the WH years ago. I’ll definitely be proud to show my daughter a letter acknowledging her from President Obama’s White House! Especially since we’re living abroad right now. Thanks so much for sharing this freebie.

October 14, 2011 at 8:34 pm
(4) Melissa says:

My father sent a birth announcement to the WH (Nixon) for me in 1969. I still have the congrats’s letter and envelope framed with my 18 yr old’s letter from 1993 (Clinton) and my 51/2 year old’s letter Bush. I am now writing a letter to President Obama to get my newborn’s letter. It is a very nice keepsake, but keep the envelope too it looks great as a complete official package!..Congrats’s to all :D

December 9, 2012 at 11:22 am
(5) Christine Comaty says:

I mailed my son’s birth certificate on September 1, 2009 and we have not received the congratulatory note from the president. My son was a little over 3 months when we watched President Obama get sworn into office. I wanted this letter as a keepsake for him. I’m not sure why we haven’t received it? Please contact me via email. Thanks!

December 9, 2012 at 9:21 pm
(6) pregnancy says:

Amanda,

I’m afraid I don’t have any pull. Perhaps you should write the address there and ask for help? I’m sure that they can help you with the resolution.

Robin

January 3, 2014 at 4:22 pm
(7) laura leigh says:

I did this with my newborn. I sent a birth announcement and the required information, and I got a response within 3 months. Its a neat keepsake!