1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

Coloring Your Hair in Pregnancy

By December 4, 2010

Pregnant Mother-to-be

One of the most frequent questions I get is whether or not it is safe to dye your hair in pregnancy. Do you color your hair in pregnancy? I also get plenty of other questions about medications in pregnancy and even vaccinations. How about what is safe to eat while pregnant and what isn't safe to eat? There are so many questions about what is safe while you're pregnant and what isn't. Some women even say that their entire pregnancy is clouded by fear that they will do something wrong and harm their baby. My advice? Get educated and make wise decisions for you, but remember, a little common sense goes a long way.

More information:

Comments
April 26, 2007 at 10:43 am
(1) Lindsay says:

I dyed my hair with my first pregnancy. Not often, but towards the end I really needed a pretty fix. I just felt so BLAH! and I knew I wouldn’t have time after, so I went in 2 days before my scheduled induction and got pretty. Even my doctor commented on it.

My hairsylist was very careful to keep me in a well ventalated area and didn’t put me under the hair dryer chair thing.

With this pregnancy, I haven’t – but that is mostly because I decided to embrace my natural brown hair and stop pretending to be blonde! LOL!

April 26, 2007 at 11:07 am
(2) Sarah says:

Even though I color when I’m not pregnant (gettin’ grey you know!), I can’t bring myself to do it when I’m pregnant. The chemicals on your scalp, not to mention the smell makes me sick and I can smell it for days.

April 26, 2007 at 11:17 am
(3) Amanda Monroe says:

How can it be good for you ever? Doesn’t coloring your hair hurt it in general? Why not give pregnancy a chance to make your hair thick and shiny. Prenatal vitamins or not – my hair was really nice in pregnancy.

April 26, 2007 at 2:35 pm
(4) SarahJane says:

I waited until I was through my first tri. I just want to cover up the grays that are sneaking in! I wouldn’t do it more than 2-3 times in a pregnancy since there is some debate on it.

April 26, 2007 at 4:52 pm
(5) Jamie says:

I dyed my hair with my first and with this pregnancy, and it just wouldn’t take. It washes out like shampoo when I am pregnant, so I have to wait until the end of summer to ge it dyed and permed again.

April 27, 2007 at 9:29 am
(6) Annie says:

To minimize the amount of hair dye that may be absorbed through your skin,

* Don’t leave dye on your hair any longer than needed.
* Rinse your scalp thoroughly with water after use of hair dye.
* Wear gloves when applying hair dye.

Usually when you apply hair dye, a very small amount is absorbed into your body. But it isn’t clear how much, if any, of these chemicals may reach the fetus.

Talk to your obstetrician about any hair color treatments you may be planning. He or she may advise you to postpone any chemical processes involving your hair until at least after your first trimester.

April 30, 2007 at 8:11 pm
(7) Dawn says:

I have dyed my hair during pregnancy. I did it just a month ago, around 22 weeks, and it turned out fine. I don’t go to salons, because the price is way too high, but home colors seem to be OK for me.

My hair is always iffy on color (pregnant or not) so whenever I do it, it’s a long shot on whether it will work right or not. :)

August 13, 2008 at 9:18 pm
(8) Erica says:

I’m on my 6th baby and have dyed my hair at some point with all of them and they all turned out to be big and healthy. My hair got very fragile so I had to start going with a color closer to my natural medium brown instead of the light brown I really like.

December 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm
(9) Donna says:

I voted “no”, but to be fair I don’t usually dye my hair even when I’m not pregnant.

I would consider using henna dyes on my hair and/or body, as long as my midwife gives the ok first.