1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

Heartburn and the Hairy Baby

By June 2, 2010

Okay, stop me if you've heard this old wive's tale: There's a pregnant mom I know and she had lots and lots of heartburn during her pregnancy. And now she just had her baby and the baby has more hair than I've ever seen. True statement! (Actually, it is...)

According to researchers from Johns Hopkins University, there is a correlation between the severity of heartburn in pregnancy with the amount of hair your baby has at birth. While the study was small, it may be that the same hormones that control the basics of heartburn related illnesses also correspond to hair growth of the fetus, researchers report in the journal Birth.

Related:

Source:
Costigan KA, Sipsma HL, DiPietro JA. Pregnancy folklore revisited: the case of heartburn and hair. Birth. 2006 Dec;33(4):311-4.

Comments
October 23, 2008 at 11:11 am
(1) Diane says:

I had a lot of heartburn with both of my pregnancies and had two very bald babies.

January 13, 2009 at 9:43 am
(2) Natalie says:

I had heartburn with my son whenever I ate anything sweet, or anything with tomato or green peppers in it, especially before bed. He, however, is almost 10 months and still does not have much hair at all! :-)

May 4, 2009 at 8:55 am
(3) Natalie says:

I had very bad heartburn throughout my pregnancy – my only real “symptom”, and my son was born with a full head of hair! So I totally believe that ‘old wives’ tale’.

May 4, 2009 at 6:05 pm
(4) Deanna - Fun Mama says:

I had a lot of heartburn while pregnant. I couldn’t eat anything without being in pain with it. My daughter was born with a full head of hair, had a full bob at 6 months, and at 2 has hair to her waist. I totally believe the “old wives tale.”

June 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm
(5) Kee says:

I had crazy heartburn my first two pregnancies and as expected two babies with three inch fros, lol! The third pregnancy I had no heartburn at all and my poor little girl came into this world with a receding hair line and sporadic tufts of very thin hair :-( In my eighth month now and no heartburn. . . another bald baby.

June 7, 2010 at 2:02 pm
(6) Jyl says:

This is my 3rd pregnancy. I’ve had really bad heart burn with all 3. The first 2 just had a light covering of hair on their heads. We’ll see how this one turns out :)

June 8, 2010 at 1:59 am
(7) Cindy says:

TRUE TRUE TRUE,I had heartburn 24/7 when I was pregnant.And My son had & still has ALOT of hair.
He is 1 now & he’s hair even grows fast.

June 8, 2010 at 8:57 am
(8) Mbabazi sylvia says:

its now my first pregnancy, but i really bad with heart burn, i was always asking my self why,but now i’m gona wait and see how it will be.

August 4, 2012 at 1:44 am
(9) aimee says:

my first no heart burn and my daughter had no hair till age two.. Im pregnate now with the worse acid refux of all time.. The doctors have already seen lots of hair on my babys ultrasound.. <3