1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

Pregnancy Test Questions?

By June 1, 2010

Taking a pregnancy test isn't supposed to be hard. But when you're taking about something this important, you want to get it right. What does that mean about medications you take? What about reading the results? Heck, we all read more into every test we take, in fact, in an interview Trista Sutter said it took 99 pregnancy tests with her first pregnancy before she believed it. (I've been known to hold my tests up against a white wall to see if a line popped up.) Anyway, I've tried to answer some of the most common questions about pregnancy tests. If you have more, let me know!

Some questions:

Related:

Photo EyeWire

Comments
September 13, 2007 at 9:14 am
(1) Fran says:

Is a cheap, dollar-store test less accurate than a twenty dollar pharmacy brand test?

September 16, 2007 at 9:59 pm
(2) Robin Elise Weiss says:

It’s more a question of sensitivity than anything. They work the same way, so which detects more hCG? You’d have to compare specific brands, though many times they are very similar tests, and in some cases the $1 brands actually detect lower levels of hCG (meaning they are more sensitive).

October 30, 2008 at 1:38 pm
(3) anne says:

I agree that cheap tests are just as good as expensive, although i would say that the only difference is that they can be a bit more confusing to read.

anne
organiccoupons

June 29, 2009 at 5:36 pm
(4) louise says:

help i have just found out i am pregnant but we are off to florida next for the first ever time!! We are flying there from scotland which will be a 9 hour flight– Will it be safe for me to swim with the dolphins as i have booked a trip and what about the roller coasters??? I will only be 6 weeks when we go help im over the moon but scared X

February 24, 2010 at 8:34 pm
(5) arelia says:

ok. so i am having all the symptoms you could have once your pregnant. whenever i took the test, i actually took two at one time. they were two different tests. one digital and one had the lines. they both came up negative. should i have just taken one at a time or am i just not pregnant?

November 3, 2010 at 11:46 pm
(6) carmen perez says:

I’m not sure if I’m pregnant. Becuase of ma first bby boy it took me 2 yrs to get pregnant. Becuase I had to drink birth control pills . So my period would be regular. So do you think I should do the same thing. Becuase right now I have 1 month that I havemt gotten my period . I just don’t know what to do. Please help me !

February 21, 2011 at 2:03 am
(7) krista says:

i was on the depo shot for a year and 1/2 and iv been off of it for goin on 4 months now and still no period….. and iv had pregnancy symptoms but ive had 1 positive test a 1 neg. and 2 invalid and i dont have insurance so i dont know if i should go to the doctor or not any advise would help if iam pregnant or not thanks

October 12, 2011 at 11:47 am
(8) Sara says:

I took a pregnancy test recently, the kind that has one circle for the control line and has another circle for the positive or negative lines. The control line showed up, but nothing showed up in the other circle.. I check the expiration date on the test and its fine. Does anyone know why that happens?

September 21, 2012 at 6:57 am
(9) parm says:

my last period was 9august.n my husband come from abroad from 26 august.n we sex.now my period has not come yet.i did home pregnency test on 12sept.but it comes negtive. Bt i feel vomit nussea backacke.can i be pregnent and i should pregnancy test