1. Parenting

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

How old is too old to have a baby?

By May 19, 2009

Elizabeth Adeney is going to become Britain's oldest mother at the age of 66. She conceived via IVF done at a clinic in Ukraine. While it is a well known fact that older mothers are at a greater risk of more complications like preterm birth, blood pressure problems, c-sections and more, it does not seem to be deterring mothers who can afford the fertility tourism.

I suppose my issue with it is simply pregnancy and early parenting. I know that having a 17 year old and my 8 month old, my pregnancies were very different from a physical stand point. As an older mother now, it was much harder to deal with the pregnancy symptoms like exhaustion and nausea. I cannot image how I would do it almost 30 years from now. What are your thoughts? What would be the hardest part of pregnancy at 66?

Comments
May 21, 2009 at 6:51 pm
(1) maria says:

I am 44 and five months pregnant. I didn’t know I was pregnant until about two weeks ago — I thought I was in menopause, and am not married, had a single “for old times sake” encounter with an old beau, and thought the weight gain and continued lack of menstruation was all a part of my menopause. Plus, except for a coupla weeks of mild quesiness a couple months ago and a sudden strange aversion to wine, and perpetual exhaustion which I attributed to stress, I had no other pregnancy symptoms (I have three grown children, so I know what pregnancy feels like). Until I felt the baby kickig a couple weeks ago. I thought it was gas, but then had my routine annual pap smear. How do I explain this to my kids? How do I have the energy to raise this kid alone?

May 22, 2009 at 11:18 am
(2) agga says:

Congratulations!

I hope you keep this baby. There are so many women trying to conceive at this age with no luck. You are very blessed. Obviously, you have experience in raising kids which should be a tremendous help to you. I’m sure your other kids will be happy for you. It’s such a joy!

All the best to you and your baby,
Agga

May 24, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(3) Adele says:

Count your blessings!

I had my fourth child (during my second marriage) at 43. My son is now 16. I am a much better parent now than I was with my first three (with my first husband). I am now divorced and my son has been an inspiration–a talented pianist(now in jazz) an honor roll student and a black belt in Karate–all his idea to do. I know that with age comes wisdom and as far as having energy, it is simple–sleep enough, keep active, and eat a healthy diet. Enjoy your midlife child!

January 21, 2010 at 1:31 am
(4) GS says:

Hi, did you have your baby? I only looked at your question today because I’m not sure whether at 41 I should have another child :(

January 28, 2010 at 11:04 pm
(5) liz riach says:

i am 40 and my husband is 43 and have just found i am pregnant,this will be my fifth my husband says he is to old to have other!my oldest is 13 is it wrong

March 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm
(6) Tina says:

i want to know if 45 is to old to have a tubal ligation reversal i just got married and we would like to have a family of are own

May 28, 2010 at 11:20 am
(7) Jersey says:

I have three children with my husband, 14, 11 & 6 and a 20 year old stepdaughter who is due to have her first child this year. I just found out that I am pregnant. Like Maria, I thought the recent change in my menustration was due to the start of menopause. I do not yet know how far into the pregnancy I am, but am scheduled for an ultra sound on Tuesday. I was recently injured and have been undergoing various tests and studies and am fearful that these could have damaged the fetus. I have so many questions that I need answered before I can make the decision to proceed with this pregnancy. I had a very difficult time with my previous three. I was actually told 16 years ago that I would never be able to conceive a child due to a previous history of ovarian cysts. Boy was that doctor WRONG! Considering my youngest was a surprise child, this is a severe shocker! Practicing safely and not knowing I was even capable of conceiving another child, not to mention I don’t even know if I was pregnant during all the Cat Scans, X-rays and MRI’s because I was lightly bleeding each month….it’s a tough call!

November 17, 2010 at 7:40 pm
(8) Mary says:

Count your blessings and keep the baby! I’m not able to have children, but have always wanted children. So you are very blessed.

November 30, 2010 at 4:43 am
(9) Cassie says:

i am 43 and have 3 children 14, 12 and 10. i just found out i was pregnant and had a termination. my husband is 50. i’m not sure how i feel. i think i rushed it but felt it was right at the time. i thought it was menopause. i throw up as soon as i reach 6 weeks till the birth. i was 5 weeks when i terminated. You have to think of all factors. it is a tough decision either way.

December 5, 2012 at 11:32 am