1. Health

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

Birth Weight and Twins

By June 22, 2008

Five years ago I got the news - we were expecting twins. When I was pregnant with my twins one thing I really worried about was whether or not they would be born prematurely or be of low birth weight. Partially with good genetics and largely due to a good diet, rest and watching our for myself, I did manage to have two very healthy babies born at just past 40 weeks. I will also tell you that more than one mom drops her jaw when she hears that a) the babies were born after their due date and b) they had combined weights of nearly 16 lbs.

Well, a North Carolina woman has given birth to twins that break that state's record for the birth weight of twins, 23 pounds. You have to realize that the average birth weight for twins is about 5.5 pounds, depending on when they were born. Some say that the record belongs to Patricia and John Haskin from 1924. They weighed in at over 27 pounds collectively.

With multiple birth rates on the rise, you may wonder if maybe your bundle of joy isn't really bundles (plural). This quick and easy quiz can help you sort out fact from fiction in the great scheme of things and help you determine if you're possibly having twins! If you are, be sure that you receive early prenatal care, eat well and take care of yourself, including educating yourself on the risks of preterm labor.

Related:

Photo (c) Robin Elise Weiss

Comments
September 23, 2009 at 9:26 pm
(1) Harsha says:

Wow. I did open my jaw for a few seconds when I read your story. Congratulations on carrying full term with great weight. I’m expecting twins and 14 weeks now. Any ideas to carry full term would be awesome

February 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(2) Sharon says:

I have just given birth to twin boys 3 weeks ago. One was 7lbs 10oz and the other was 6lbs 9 & half. Was 39 weeks. Lovely healthy boys.

June 4, 2010 at 4:01 pm
(3) Cally in Maine says:

My niece just gave birth to twins the boy weighed 8 1 and a half 19 half ” long , the girl weighed 8 lbs even 19 ” long. Both doing great.

January 30, 2012 at 9:29 am
(4) Louisa says:

I had full term fraternal twin boys weighing 7.2 and 7.15. It set a record at our hometown hospital. They are turning 6yrs old next week and we still have the record !!

April 29, 2012 at 5:50 pm
(5) Liz says:

I gave birth to twin boys in April 2010 at 38.2 days weighing in at 7Ibs 13 and 8Ibs 13!

November 18, 2012 at 11:43 pm
(6) Trin says:

Congratulations! I’ve had the jaw drop experience too, my twins went to 40w 3d and weighed 7lb and 6lb 8oz.

November 20, 2012 at 9:42 am
(7) pregnancy says:

Congrats! That’s great.

March 7, 2013 at 7:04 am
(8) kashia says:

It doesn’t really matter which baby weights what, It’s all about their health and happiness, life is not competition of size or beating records at hospital. To me it sounds trivial as hell and while health is important, everything above 6lb is not necessary as science says.

March 7, 2013 at 8:59 am
(9) pregnancy says:

Birth weight is critical for all infants. Low birth weight is one of the top reasons babies don’t survive. Now, as you state, at some point it’s “icing on the cake” and not necessary. But twin moms particularly have to work harder to have higher birth weight babies, partially because they are born earlier than singleton counterparts.

June 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm
(10) backstreet says:

Let’s not talk about extremities, as soon as twins hit 5lb mark they usually do very well at 35 weeks let’s say, not at 30 weeks of course. It’s not only about weight, it’s about timing too. Even if your kid it 8lb by 30 weeks he might not survive, so it’s not all about weight. Weight without developed lungs won’t save your life. And then again I know twins who we’re born prematurely below 5lb now at Harvard, and I know 9 pounders dumb as contractors boot so go figure. Lol

June 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm
(11) kashiakashia says:

@pregnancy, 5.5lb is considered normal weight for twins

April 7, 2014 at 4:16 pm
(12) m137 says:

@kashia, every mother has earned the right to brag about her accomplishment in creating a life. Mothers of multiples face much higher risk for many pregnancy complications, including prematurity and low birth weight, and most, to get their babies big and to term have to make many sacrifices, deal with a lot of pain and discomfort, and still hope to be lucky. All of the women sharing their successes on here have earned the right to do so. There’s nothing trivial about what they’ve done. And, as a woman who is currently 35 weeks pregnant with twins, on modified bedrest, and has been worried about my babies coming too soon or too small for months, I find their stories comforting and inspiring.

You’re correct that this is not a competition. I seriously doubt any of these women was happy about her accomplishment because she beat someone else. They were each happy and proud because they did everything they could to give their babies the best shot at starting life happy and healthy, and with luck on her side, ended up with two big healthy babies. It doesn’t make them any better than the women who, despite their best efforts, aren’t so lucky and have to sit in a NICU for months, but it’s still a wonderful thing and heartwarming to read about.