1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE

How many weeks pregnant am I?

By December 26, 2007

17 Week 3D Ultrasound

Due date! It's what everyone wants to know from the moment you pee on a stick. When are you due? When can we expect the baby? When will your baby be born? The questions fly at you!

The more important thing to know is how many weeks pregnant you are at any given point in pregnancy. This is how doctors and midwives calculate your pregnancy, rather than months, because it's more accurate. Your baby is growing so rapidly, particularly in the first weeks of pregnancy that a whole week can mean vastly different things when it comes to not only fetal development but also with treatment of various pregnancy issues.

To calculate the number of weeks you are, you simply start with the first day of your last menstrual period, also called LMP. So if the first day of your last period was January 1st, your first week of pregnancy is January 1-7th, though you are 1 week pregnant on January 7th as you complete the week. January 8-14th would be the second week, two weeks pregnant on January 14th. Your doctor or midwife may even count days. So for example, if you were, using the January 1st date, 5 weeks 3 days pregnant would be February 7th. If you were doing an early ultrasound to look for a heartbeat, you may not see much of anything, but wait a week, until after 6 weeks around February 15th and you would see a lot more.

Don't get stressed, there is a really easy tool to use that will tell you each personalized week of your pregnancy, including when you can expect to hear the heartbeat and feel your baby move. Simply put your due date into this calculator: Pregnancy Weeks Calculator It's a good idea to keep that info handy. If someone every asks you have many weeks you are, you can quickly and easily tell them.

If your grandma insists on knowing how many months you are, you can use the calculation to figure that out as well. (You'll see why it's a bit less straight forward than weeks and why clinical personnel dropped it.)

How many weeks are you?

Related:

Pregnancy Calendar | Three Trimesters | How Babies Grow

Photo © J. Rauch

Comments
November 17, 2008 at 5:40 pm
(1) hopeful new mommy! says:

Very hepeful! conception date was exact. i’m at three weeks and experiencing all of the symptoms just shy of morning/night sickness. this last week is going to be the longest since i cant test until next monday and i can’t wait!!!!

February 7, 2009 at 11:30 pm
(2) Kelly says:

The conception date is right on the money!Thanks for the great info.

August 29, 2009 at 8:32 am
(3) MM says:

I never had a period-went right from breast feeding to pregnant so I really don’t know when conception was!
Can I tell by symptoms?

November 7, 2009 at 9:30 am
(4) sr says:

I feel awful. I hate being pregnant! I am miserable and I want to throw up all the time. This is my fifth pregnancy, so please don’t tell me that it will get better, because its actually gotten worse with each baby. I hate this!

December 2, 2009 at 2:31 am
(5) glenda says:

hey yup i found out i was pregeant today not good news cause im to young to have a baby…im 2 weeks and i have all over my back and front of my body and i have headaces omg imgaine when im giving birth ouch

February 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm
(6) jessica says:

omg reading ur comments i think i’m either 2 or 3 weeks alongs but waiting to see if i miss my menstrual during 17-19 hopefully i miss it really want to get pregnant n my front and back are in pain 2!

February 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm
(7) dee says:

it was exact for mee, hopefully i helps all of you! (:

March 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm
(8) jbrown says:

I am 3 month I have only 6 more month to go I am so happy this my second and I have been really sick I think I am having a girl that’s what everyone says I just hope its healthy.

April 16, 2010 at 4:10 pm
(9) sr...again says:

Almost 2 the due date now. Feel better….but I look awful! Promised myself that I would gain only 15-20 lbs, but I’ve gained 35 already. Wow I hate, hate, hate, the way that I look. But, as I get bigger, it makes me want to lose the weight even more after I have the baby. Can’t wait 2 go for long walks in the summer while I push the stroller. Can’t wait 2 meet my baby boy !!

May 6, 2010 at 10:01 am
(10) anna says:

Iam two month pregnant I HOPE IT WIIL BE A BABY BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31, 2010 at 8:38 am
(11) sr says:

In labour right now. Contractions about every 12 mins. Going to go to the hospital soon. Very excited and nervous.

August 10, 2010 at 11:25 am
(12) kxtompkins says:

I’m 6 weeks prego, feeling pretty good. I have slight nausea off and on. This is baby #3. I have two boys 6years old and 9 years old. I’m hopeing this is my baby girl!!!

September 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm
(13) qtpi says:

8weeks pregnant with baby # 3! ive had a total of 7 miscarriages. so im trying to do everything right so it wont happen again. girls please quit (or atleast cut down) on drinking and smoking. im hoping for a healthy baby & pregnancy.

September 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm
(14) kiera says:

uhm 32 weeks and i dont knw the exact date wen im due.the doctor kep givin me difrent due dates lik holloween and the begignin of november

September 27, 2010 at 9:59 am
(15) Ens says:

omg so close to my due date. I am 7 1/2 months pregnant. I still haven’t found out what i’m having. mostly because I want it to be a surprise, but guess what????? I can’t wait any longer I have to know like right now. So this thursday i’m off to the OBGYN to get an ultrasound. Due date:December 8, 2010!

October 4, 2010 at 7:07 am
(16) sugiyama says:

im now 24weeks its a baby boy im so happy and i cant wait to see my first baby………….i hope he is healthy and cute baby boy………….ilove u baby….

October 29, 2010 at 11:39 am
(17) natalie says:

Hey guys, I’m 31 weeks pregnant, and only just starting to get heartburn!! No sickness at all, just back ache and always tired! This is my second baby boy!! Already have harry who turned one last week, I’m due on new years eve, so a very close gap of 14 months :)

November 4, 2010 at 3:39 pm
(18) shay says:

I’m 5weeks I think or just about. I have all symptoms except for morning sickness. My husband got symptoms right before we concieved so I knew the day before I concieved that I was going to b preg. I’m assuming my due date is July 14, 11

November 4, 2010 at 6:52 pm
(19) Rach says:

I am 6 weeks pregnant and I am always nauseous. It stinks! This will be our 3rd child. We are due June 30, 2011.

November 18, 2010 at 9:59 am
(20) angela armitage says:

i have been trying for 18mths and never fell, until i was recommended a lube called pre seed, i was thinking a lube, what the hell is that going to do, we used it once and i am now 6wks preggers, we are so happy this is our 1st child also,

November 19, 2010 at 8:23 am
(21) angela says:

also i have had no sickness, just very tired and also of wind!

December 2, 2010 at 5:00 pm
(22) Sarah says:

I am about 2 weeks pregnant. This is my first so I’m a little nervous. I am feeling cramping in my lower abdomen area ..is that normal? Little cramps and pokes. Doctor says its my uterus…..But i noticed i am experiencing fatigue. However, i havent been hungry…i am trying to eat as often as i can and taking my prenatals. Im due Aug 6. 11.

December 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm
(23) JP says:

@ Sarah:
Its very normal, as I was having the same thing with this pregnancy, and this is my second one. My first was over 8 years ago.
We are very excited.
Best Wishes!

December 20, 2010 at 2:04 pm
(24) Lydia says:

I am 10 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and very sick morning, day and night I am hoping this will go away within 2 weeks, est. due date 7/20/2011…

January 31, 2011 at 5:22 pm
(25) Beth says:

Hi all i am 6 weeks pregnant & still in shock after finding out just over a week ago, as we were only trying 2 months. I have experienced tender boobs, tiredness & cramps but feel normal most of the time, having no sickness. However, I had tummy trouble for a bit though that seems to have passed now, but feel a little bloated. Congrats all x

March 1, 2011 at 8:09 am
(26) Dee Dee says:

Am I the only one who is 6 weeks with no symptoms but the boobs….I heard that girls give you all the morning sickness.is that true?

March 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm
(27) B.Bells says:

I am about 5wks in with my second baby my 1st is a 3mth old boy and yes I am already pregnant again I believe it will be a girl because I have had bad morning sickness and cramping when I didn’t go through Amy of this with my boy cramped a little but o was hoof throughout the entire pregnancy can’t say I’m excited because its so soon however, I am ready to know the sex of my unborn.

March 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm
(28) lala says:

hi everyone, congrts to you all. I just found out i am pregnant with my second child
, we’ve been trying for about 2 months and we are soo happy and excited, i hope it will be a boy so my little girl will have a brother.

March 11, 2011 at 5:06 pm
(29) jasmine says:

Hi everybody im still confused dont know when i conceived im stiil wondering if it could have been a day before i started my period or after i finished ??????

March 31, 2011 at 8:27 pm
(30) Char says:

My period are never dead on every month so its not uncommon for me to miss a period, i didnt think anything of it untill my intuition started kicking in, on the 29th i toook my 1st pregnancy test which confirmed i was, on the 30th i took my second but with one that told me the weeks i was, it came out as the highest the test went as 5weeks+ so im still unsure actually how far i am gone? is there anyway to find out other than going to the doctors even tho im going there next wednesday? advise please ladies?

April 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(31) kimbytganz says:

im nearly twenty weeks preg will be twenty weeks next thursday due sep 2011 was a real shock but im 22 and its my first but have my parents there so dont need a man

May 30, 2011 at 9:46 am
(32) jassy says:

im a new married lady and after ma marriage..for 1week was feeling different and ignore it then 2weeks come still feeling the same so i intend to use pregnancy test and it gave a positive result? i just want to know if get pregnant before or after ma wedding..?

June 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(33) claire says:

i found out i was pregnant with my second last week..but i dnt no how far i am…and i dont no when my last period was…will my doctor still be able to tell me how far gone i am?

June 27, 2011 at 7:29 am
(34) beth says:

The dr. will give you an early ultra sound to find out the due date. Thats what mine did when I wasn’t sure. (probably 7-10 weeks along)

July 13, 2011 at 11:47 pm
(35) sara says:

doctors can get it wrong. very wrong. I’m being told my due date is October 19th. which means I got around january19th. Which is impossible since my boyfriend wasnt even home in January. He didnt get home until february which means we didnt even sleep together till the middle of the first week of february. If I go by when I know we slept together then I should be due around November 9th. If I go by the first day of my last period, which I know was January 24th, then I should be due October 31st. I don’t know how the doctors got it wrong when I told them exactly what day my last period started. And I could tell them for a fact we didn’t have sex until halfway through the first week of february. Yet they still got it wrong. Now my boyfriend is my ex-boyfriend because he did the calculations to and he thinks I cheated on him. My doctors got it all wrong and now I have all the stress in my life because of it. I had to move from Wisconsin to Minnesota. Now I have new doctors and I am going to talk to them about all this and see what they say. I don’t see how the doctors in Wisconsin could have gotten everything so wrong.

July 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm
(36) mealone says:

Helo all, am soo excited, now 7wks prego, this will be our 3rd baby. Actually we tried for 6mths and was getting sooo frustrated, the moment I decided to give up and visit a fertility clinic was when I found out that I missed my period. We have a boy and a girl, so we are hoping for a healthy baby. I tried clomid 50mg the first round nothing, then the second round booooom got it, I am grateful to God, I feel sooo different little bit nausea, lots of headache, lower waist pain, lots of weight gain already, its nothing like my first two, I wonder if this is twins or what? All thesame goodluck everyone and hope all of us have a healthy baby (s)

July 21, 2011 at 5:49 pm
(37) fatima says:

Its wonderful being pregnant.though its hard work. But when you see or feel something inside it gives you great joy ful with radiant love. Babies are gift and blessings from God.

July 23, 2011 at 11:12 pm
(38) stacey says:

I am 23,been feeling sick and sleeping a lot.so i when and took the test. Told my husband, he was very happy, but I’m very nerves. This being our 3rd time and still no children.don’t knw how far i am,don’t even remember when my last period was. Just knw i didn’t come on this month.i took the test today by the way.been parying i can make it pass five mths and have a health baby.

July 25, 2011 at 6:54 pm
(39) jasmine says:

hello im 5 weeks pregnant and its my first child we r so excited and happy but i hate the morning sickness that sucks i feel like throwing up all the time…

August 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm
(40) Makeeta says:

Stupid question. I need to know exactly how pregnant I am. Let’s say I turned 5 weeks on Sunday and it is now Tuesday. Do I tell people that I am in my 5th week or do I say I am “IN” my 6th week since I am already 5 weeks and 3 days. I know it may be stupid but I can’t find the exact answer anywhere and I don’t know what to tell people. Thanks.

September 7, 2011 at 11:53 am
(41) dan says:

my period was due around the 25th august but never came i was expecting it as i got some period type cramping and very sore nipples, i have now had 2 positive tests and the clearblue 1 says more than 5 weeks but by my reckoning i can only be around 5 weeks pregnant, maximum! can any1 advise me on this please im in shock still.

September 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm
(42) raquel says:

Hello I’m 23 I’m goin into my fourth month of being prego, and ughhhh ive had the longest sickness with ths one but its ok ive only gained one lb. Hehe hopefully a girl I’vealready got three boys . Let’s wait n see wat god has mommy bakin!!!!

October 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm
(43) Tracier says:

hi Everyone
I’m 25 weeks into my pregnancy no problems thank god no morning sickness the whole time. My little Boy is moving a lot he really enjoys play. but i’m not going to lair it’s been 13yrs since i had a baby and wow!! the things i have to try to remember.but i can’t wait until he is here to spoil and love him. good luck ladies.

October 24, 2011 at 10:21 am
(44) blessed mom says:

Hi friends!
I am so happy and excited to share this with you. My first son turned 5 years on Sept 12. V have been trying to conceive from the past one year and I was fed up and thought I have to get a treatment. In September my period was due on 13th and it didn’t come and felt very happy thinking am pregnant. Unfortunately, it came on 17th. I never had missed periods before. This months (October) I was expecting my periods on or before 17th but i missed it. But I really had the cramps which I get before my periods. I thought of going to Doctor for finding out my period is due……Honestly speaking v didn’t expect a bit this month. On 22nd Saturday before going to Dr. I took a pregnancy test, as I thought the Dr. may ask me. It showed a very faint line. Still v went to Dr. and she suggested for a blood test and we waited for 3 hours for the result. OMG it came positive and I am so happy. Am in my 5th week. but my belly is out than normal. Is it normal? Kindly suggest.

November 7, 2011 at 3:34 am
(45) Emma says:

Hi girls, huge congrats to everyone on here. Am 8 wks preg with my 2nd and were so excited and happy. No real sickness just mostly tired. A bit of weight gain 2 !

November 17, 2011 at 9:37 am
(46) Jemma says:

Hi Ladies,
Found out last week that i am pregnant yay!
I would like to know exactly how many weeks i am tho? My test last week said 3 weeks+ which is as high as it went and my last period started 1st of october. Does anyone know of a test which tells you how far you are in weeks if its over 3 weeks?

November 17, 2011 at 10:25 am
(47) pregnancy says:

A pregnancy test won’t tell you specifically how many weeks you are, but doctors and midwives use that first day of your last period. You can plug that in at the pregnancy calculator to print out every week from now until birth at: http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/pregnancycalendar/l/blpregcalc.htm Best of luck!

December 17, 2011 at 9:19 am
(48) Private says:

last period Nov 7th or so. boobs swollen and feel bruised. took two cheap hot and faint faint line, took digital and finally positive. this will be our third. with this one i will have to quit my full-time management job to be at home because of daycare expenses. was on birth control, not trying or expected. how far am i?

January 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm
(49) jade says:

i just found out i am pregnant & i am dying to know how many weeks i am. i have a doctors appt. soon but i can’t wait, can somebody help me?? i have irregular periods so i can’t base it off of that. /:

January 9, 2012 at 4:29 am
(50) pregnancy says:

If you have irregular periods it’s hard for anyone to be able to try to figure it out. You can guess based on your sexual activity and what you do know about your periods. Your doctor will help you figure it out with a physical exam and possibly an ultrasound to confirm an estimated due date. Best of luck!

January 22, 2012 at 2:21 am
(51) Pregnacy says says:

Just found out im pregnant today , im so nervous and still in shock beause it doesnt seem real. Lol From the calender thing im a month pregnant . My main symptom is backache , & little headaches ,. Everything else seems normal . Im so excited !!! :)

February 16, 2012 at 6:49 am
(52) roch30 says:

hi there im 12 weeks preg with child number 3 i have two boys age 5 and 11, i have been feeling very sick and tired had my first scan which went very well cant wait until my 20 week scan when i find out the babies sex hoping for another boy but i do believe this is a little girl (cant stop eating sweets) lol…..good luck to all of you xx

March 11, 2012 at 3:00 am
(53) sherri says:

So I’m 18 weeks pregnant and this book I brought says @ 18 weeks that marks 5 months but my friend tells me @ 20 weeks that’ll make 5 months and I’m so confused I just want to throw this book away and slap my friend,seriously!

April 3, 2012 at 5:11 am
(54) merry says:

I just wanna kno if I’m pregnant I have alot of pain in my back and my side hurt also.. my boobs have this cramping like sore feeling and I notice that last Friday. I’m due on my period April 10th and I calculated it said I’m 2 weeks. but I don’t think u can feel any symptoms @
2weeks..

April 14, 2012 at 6:11 am
(55) sophie says:

Hi all :) I recently found out tha I’m 4 weeks pregnant and 3 days I’m so happy :D this is my 2nd pregnancy but 1st baby I lost my 1st one :( anyway I thought I’d help with the cheap pregnancy strips I took one of those the day I was due on and 2 lines come up but the test line was faint, so I took the digital clear blue test its 9 pound but well worth it, it tells u how long ago u got preggers, and the only symptoms I had was tha my nipples were darker that’s It I knew I was tho congrats 2 every1 who is expectin and good luck for moms stil trying

April 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm
(56) sarah says:

This calculator isn’t correct unless you have a 28 day cycle.

May 5, 2012 at 12:51 am
(57) shania m says:

my lmp was april 3 i went on vacation april 22 tru may 2nd now i had sex unprotected on april 22,23,25 n 26 and my period was supposed to come on may 1st.. am i pregnant or my period is just late?

May 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm
(58) pregnancy says:

Shania: Have you tried a pregnancy test? That would be able to tell you the answer to your question.

June 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(59) Suzanne says:

Felt “pregnant” for the last 2 weeks so took a test yesterday which came back positive. This will be my 3rd pregnancy (2 previous M/C) – praying God will bless me with a successful pregnancy, straight forward labour and a healthy child……..

July 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm
(60) Louise says:

I have just found out i am pregnant, bought a clear blue digital that said 3+ weeks so that makes me 5+ weeks i have a appointment with my doctor on Monday in the afternoon but its goin round in my head thinking about when i was last on but i can’t think my mind is blank how will the Dr tell how far gone i am

August 3, 2012 at 9:38 am
(61) yummy mummy says:

im wondering if some 1 could help me i had sex on the 3rd of march but bled the next day this was with my partner , we split n i had sex with a diffrent person on 23rd of march but he didnt ejaculate i pushed him straight off me , im confused on who could be the dad im 21 weeks pregnant 22 weeks pregnant on tuesday my dates work out right form sleeping with my partner but weve been togther 4 years n been trying n ive never fell helpp ! im confused

August 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm
(62) pregnancy says:

There really isn’t a perfect way to tell, even though you know the dates. I’d ask your doctor or midwife to help you. Also ask about paternity testing.

August 27, 2012 at 9:55 am
(63) Comfort says:

Been trying to get pregnant for 7 years and just discovered am 6 wks gone but no symptoms. Is it normal?

September 1, 2012 at 1:15 am
(64) pregnancy says:
August 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(65) Rana says:

I’m 34 weeks with my second pregnancy I’m going to have about this time im happy I can’t wait to see my boy

September 4, 2012 at 10:33 pm
(66) Irene says:

Any Advice??
I have a lot of medical conditions so Iím worriedÖ.
I had a miscarriage on Jun 11th of 2012. I was only several weeks. This is my 3rd miscarriage. My periods have been so off after that. I normally get it every 21 days. In July, I didnít get it till July 16th. My doc said its normal consideringÖ
I decided to get on the pill, but I kept missing days and just quit after 2 weeks. I started spotting an hour after I had sex on Aug. 1st and it lasted for 9 days. Well, itís Sept. 4th and still no period. I took a preg. Test on the 2nd. Negative. Iíve been feeling pregnant for weeks now, but not sure. The last time I had sex was on Aug. 1st. So Iím CONFUSEDÖ.
I see my OBGYN 2moro. Hoping I am but donít want to be disappointed.

September 5, 2012 at 6:23 pm
(67) pregnancy says:

Sometimes when you’re on the pill you feel that vague pregnancy feeling. Please let us know what your doctor said!

September 16, 2012 at 12:47 am
(68) Elizabeth says:

congrats to those with new additions on the way.

October 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(69) Gemma says:

I found out on Saturday that I’m pregnant :) I have no idea how far along I am because I was on Celeste for 12 months and got a period once every 3/4 weeks. I came off the pill 6 weeks ago. I just ‘knew’ that I was pregnant because I’ve felt strange for a few weeks. My belly feels tight and I’ve got cramps … I’ve lost my appetite a little bit too! I’m so excited and can’t wait to find out how far gone I am :)

October 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm
(70) pregnancy says:

Congrats on your pregnancy! Glad you found the site. :-)

October 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm
(71) Shanaz says:

Hey guys,am 36weeks now.dua date wil be nov 27th.am feeling my baby’s movements countinuosly.girl baby for me.dis is #1baby.hope it wil be normal . . . pray for me

October 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm
(72) mimi says:

Doctor says am 14weeks pregnant yet my due date by doctor is 18th may and am so confused because from the calculator am now getting into my 12th week

January 3, 2013 at 6:27 am
(73) MummyB says:

It calculated the wrong due date this is rubbish :-S

January 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm
(74) Pali says:

I don’t know I m pregnent or not but sometime I’ve pain in my lower stomach and my back.
I’m feeling tired than before
I use to sleep too much

April 22, 2013 at 10:43 am
(75) amy says:

Hi girls found out last Monday I was pregnant with my second child I lost my first child at 20 weeks so I am very nervous.. Good luck everyone lol x

July 11, 2013 at 10:44 am
(76) Amy says:

Hi I went to see a midwife yesterday at my doctors but she’s told me I’m 6 weeks with a due date of 1st of February 2014 but that would make me 10weeks pregnant not 6!!? My last period was 23rd of may lasting 4 days and I have worked out my due date would be 27th of February I am new to this and I need help I did not like the midwife at all she was always on edge and righting things down wrong. I need to know how many weeks pregnant I am but I don’t know where to turn please help! Thanks

July 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(77) pregnancy says:

This calculator not only gives you a due date but tells you how many weeks you are every week of your pregnancy with dates: http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/pregnancycalendar/l/blpregcalc.htm
2/25 and 7 week is what I got.